Derbend' (' gateway '), a port and capital of the Russian district of Daghestan, on the west shore of the Caspian, 140 miles NW. of Baku. The upper city forms the citadel, and contains the splendid palace of the ancient khans, now the seat of the Russian governor. Pop. 14,750.
Dereham, East, a pleasant, thriving market-town of Norfolk, 17 miles (by rail 22) WNW. of Norwich. Here, in 650, St Withberga founded a nunnery. It was burned by the Danes, but refounded; and its cruciform church remains, with a detached belfry (the 'New Clocker'), St Withberga's well, and Cowper's grave. Bonner was a vicar; Dr Wollaston and Borrow were natives. Dereham manufactures agricultural implements. Pop. (1851) 3372; (1901) 5545.
Derg, Lough, the largest lake expansion of the river Shannon, between Tipperary and Gal-way and Clare, is 24 miles long, 2 wide on an average, and 80 feet deep. - Another Lough Derg, in the south of Donegal county, measuring 3 miles by 2 1/2 , has many small isles, and wild dreary shores. Saint's Isle contains the remains of a priory; Station Island, the reputed entrance to St Patrick's Purgatory, was long the most celebrated place of pilgrimage in Ireland.
Deny. See Londonderry.
Derwent, (1) a river of Derbyshire, flowing 60 miles, past Derby, to the Trent, near Sawley. - (2) A river of Northumberland and Durham, flowing 30 miles to the Tyne, near Gateshead. - (3) A river of Yorkshire, flowing 57 miles to the Ouse at Barmby-on-the-Marsh.
Derwentwater, a sheet of water, stretching south from Keswick, the most beautiful of the Cumberland lakes. Lying 238 feet above sea-level, and engirt by steep wooded crags and hills, it is 3 miles long by 1 broad, and 72 feet deep. Near its foot rise Castle Hill (529 feet) and Friar's Crag, commanding exquisite views; whilst at its head are the Lodore Falls and Borrowdale. This lake is an enlargement of the Derwent River, which traverses it in its course towards the Irish Sea at Workington. It has several wooded isles, besides a remarkable floating isle.
Desertas, three rocky Atlantic islets, SE. of Madeira, visited by fishermen and herdsmen.
Deseret. See Utah.
Desirade (Day-zee-rahd'), a French West Indian island, 4 miles E. of Guadeloupe. Area, 10 sq. m.; pop. 1598, who fish and cultivate cotton.
Des Moines (Deh-Moin'), capital of Iowa, on Des Moines River, at the mouth of Raccoon River, 174 miles W. of Davenport by rail. The river, rising in the SW. part of Minnesota, flows 550 miles generally SE. to the Mississippi. Founded in 1846, the city has a fine state-house ($3,000,000), a marble post-office and court-house, a Baptist university, a state library of over 22,500 volumes, and a public park, with fine groves of forest trees. There are foundries and planing and flouring mills, besides manufactories of machinery, engines, boilers, railway cars, etc. Pop. (1870) 12,035; (1880) 22,408; (1900) 62,140.