Deutz (Doitz). See Cologne.
Deux-ponts (Duh-pong'). See Zweibrucken.
Deux-Sevres (Duh-Sehvr'). See Sevres.
Dev'enter, an old Hanse town of Holland, on the Yssel, 11 miles NNW. of Zutphen by rail. It has a cathedral, a fine town-house, and manufactures of iron, carpets, and gingerbread. Lere Thomas a Kempis and Erasmus were educated. Pop. 26,100.
Devil's Ditch, a great earthwork of Cambridgeshire, running 7 miles south-eastward from Reach to Wood-Ditton.
Devizes, a municipal borough of Wiltshire, near the Kennet and Avon Canal, 50 miles WSW. of Reading, and 20 ESE. of Bath. The old name DivisAe or Ad Divisas marked the ancient boundary between the English and Celts; but as a town, Devizes owes its origin to a splendid castle built here by Bishop Roger of Salisbury about 1132. It was stormed by Cromwell in 1645, and now is represented by mere fragments. There are two churches with much interesting Norman work; a market-cross (1814), commemorating God's judgment on a perjuress in 1753; a fountain with a statue of Sothern Estcourt (1879); a good museum; and a large corn exchange (1857). From Henry VIII.'s time till about 1820 Devizes was a great cloth mart; now its chief manufactures are tobacco, agricultural implements, and other machinery. It returned two members till 1867, then one till 1885. Pop. 6600. See A History of Devizes (1859).
Dewsbury, a manufacturing town and municipal and parliamentary borough in the West Riding of Yorkshire, at the base of a hill, on the Calder's left bank, 32 miles SW. of York, and 8 SSW. of Leeds. The Calder navigation connects the town with Liverpool and Hull. Dewsbury has a chamber of commerce (1861), an infirmary (1883), a new town-hall (1888), new county courts, and a grammar-school (St Augustine's). Along with Batley (q.v.) it is the centre of the shoddy trade. Blankets, carpets, yarns, and iron are also largely manufactured. Dewsbury obtained a municipal charter in 1872. Pop. of mun. borough (1861) 18,148; (1901) 2S,060; of parl, borough, which, formed in 1867, includes Batley and Soot-hill, and returns one member, 72,986.
Dhar, a town of Central India, the capital of a protected state, 33 miles W. of Mhov. Pop. 15,000. Area of state, 1740 sq. m.; pop. 169,474.