Dharwar, a town in the southern Mahratta country, Bombay presidency, separated by the river Tungabhadra from Madras. Pop. 32,841.
Dholka, a town of Bombay presidency, 22 miles SW. of Ahmadabad. Pop. 18,716.
Dholpore, a native state of Rajputana, Central India, on the north bank of the Chumbul, with an area of 1156 sq. m., and a pop. of 279,890. Capital, Dholpore, on the Chumbul, 34 miles S. of Agra by rail. Two religious fairs are held every year at Machkund, a lake 3 miles to the west, with 114 temples on its banks.
Diarbek'ir (anc. Amida), a decayed town of Asiatic Turkey, on the right bank of the Tigris, 390 miles NW. of Bagdad. It is walled, and commanded by a citadel built on a high basalt rock, against which the flat-roofed houses rise above each other in terraces. Pop. 40,000.
Didcot, the junction for Oxford, 53 miles W. by N. of London.
Diedenhofen. See Thionville.
Diego Garcia (De-ay'go), a low coral island of the Indian Ocean, a dependency of Mauritius, in 7° S. lat. and 72°-73° E. long., extends 30 miles in a horseshoe shape, embracing between its extremities three minor islets (the Chagos Islands). It is convenient for coaling. Pop. 700.
Diest (Deest), a Belgian town, on the Demer, 37 miles SE. of Antwerp. Pop. 7599.
Dihong. See Brahmaputra.
Dillingen (Dil'ling-en), a Bavarian town, on the Danube, 51 miles WSW. of Ingolstadt. In the castle the bishops of Augsburg formerly resided, and here they founded a university (1554-1804), from 1564 an active Jesuit centre. Pop. 5860.
Dilman', a town of Northern Pei'sia, 75 miles W. of Tabriz. Pop. 6000.