Dijon (Dee-zhong,), chief town in dep. of Cote-d'Or, lies, spread out on a fertile plain, at the foot of Mont Afrique (1916 feet), at the junction of the Ouche and Suzon, and on the Canal de Bourgogne, 196 miles SE. of Paris by rail. Its importance as a railway centre has rendered it of consequence in the inner line of French defences towards the east, and strong forts now crown the neighbouring hills. Of the mediaeval defences, the Gothic castle built by Louis XI. still remains, employed as a gendarmerie barrack; formerly it was a state-prison. Among the public buildings are the mas3ive Gothic cathedral, dating from the 13th century, with a wooden spire (1742) 301 feet high; the churches of Notre Dame (1252-1334) and St Michel (1529); a handsome theatre; the palais de justice; and the former palace of the Dukes of Burgundy, which, commenced in 1366, is now the town-hall, and contains a rich museum and a library. The manufactures include beer, brandy, woollen cloth, blankets, mustard, candles, and pottery, and there is a noteworthy trade in flowers and agricultural produce; but Dijon's chief commercial importance is as the centre of the Upper Burgundy wine trade. Pop. (1872) 40,116; (1901) 65,320. The Dibia of the Romans, Dijon in 1007 was united to the duchy of Burgundy, of which it became the capital. On Charles the Bold's death (1477) it came to France. In October 1870 it capitulated to the Germans. Charles the Bold, Crebillon, Bossuet, and Rameau were natives, and close by is the birthplace of St Bernard, of whom there is a statue by Jouffroy (1847).