Diu, a seaport situated at the eastern extremity of a Portuguese island (7 x 2 miles) of the same name, off the south coast of Kathiawar, 180 miles NW. of Bombay. Once a city of 50,000 souls, it has sunk in importance till now the whole island has but 14,636 inhabitants, mostly fishermen. Some magnificent buildings still attest its ancient splendour, such as the Jesuit College (1601), now a cathedral. The place has been Portuguese since 1535, and stood a famous siege in 1545.
Dnieper (D'nee'pr; anc. Borysthenes), a river rising near the Volga and Western Dwina, in the N. of the Russian province of Smolensk, and flowing 1330 miles southward past Kieff, Ekaterinoslav, and Alexandrovsk to the Black Sea. Its embouchure (increased by the waters of the Bug) forms a gulf nearly 50 miles long, and 1 to 6 miles broad. Its principal affluents are the Desna and Soj from the east, and the Pripet, Beresina, and Druz from the west. At Dorogo-bush the stream becomes navigable, but below Kieff and at other points traffic is interrupted. The produce of the southern provinces is usually conveyed down the river to ports on the Black Sea, but many vessels pass annually from the Dnieper to the Baltic by the Brest-Litovsk canal (50 miles) and other water-ways. The stream is permanently bridged at Kieff only. At Smolensk, its waters are frozen from November to April; at Kieff, only from January to the end of March; and at Kherson it is frequently open all the year.
Dniester (D'nees'tr), a muddy river of Russia, rises in the Carpathian Mountains, in Austrian Galicia, and flows 650 miles SSE., separating Bessarabia from Podolia and Cherson, and entering the Black Sea by a shallow shore lake, 18 miles long and 5 broad.
Do'ab (Sanskrit, ' two rivers;' of. Punjab), a term used in India for the country between any two rivers, but specially between the Jumna and the Ganges - a space extending from Allahabad to the base of the Himalayas, a distance of upwards of 500 miles, with an average breadth of 55 miles. It is the granary of Upper India.
Do'beran, a bathing-resort of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, 2 1/2 miles from the Baltic, and 25 NE. of Wismar. It has a ducal palace (1232), is connected by rail (4 miles) with a sea-bathing establishment, and has a chalybeate spring. Pop. 4905.