Dobrudja (also spelt Dobruja, Dobrudscha, Do-brogea), the south-eastern portion of Roumania, between the lower Danube and the Black Sea, transferred to Roumania by the Berlin Congress of 1878. The north-east of this region is occupied by marshes and the Danube's delta; the rest mostly a treeless steppe. The climate is malarious. Area, 6102 sq. m.; pop. 200,000.
Doesborgh (Doos'borhh; anc. Drumsburg), a Dutch fortified town, at the confluence of the Old and New Yssel, noted for its mustard. Pop. 44S4.
Doggerbank, an extensive flat sandbank in the German Ocean, between England and Denmark, 100 miles off the Yorkshire coast. It is 170 miles long by 65 broad, with a depth of from 8 to 16 fathoms. Its fisheries are most valuable. In October 1904 a Russian fleet on its way to the China seas fired on English trawlers off the Doggerbank, creating the ' Doggerbank incident.'
Its former cathedral is a granite building of the 13th century. To the north is the isolated Mont Dol (213 feet). Pop. 3902.
Dole (anc. Dola Sequanorum), a town in the French dep. of Jura, the capital formerly of Franche-Comte, on the Doubs, 29 miles SE. of Dijon. It has a Gothic cathedral. Pasteur was born here. Pop. 12,973.
Dolgelly (Dolgeth'ly; 'dale of hazels'), capital of Merioneth, Wales, on the Wnion, 62 miles SW. of Chester by rail. It lies at the foot of Cader Idris, and in summer is frequented by tourists. It manufactures coarse woollens and flannels; its Welsh tweed is in great repute. Pop. 2437.
Dollar, a town of Clackmannanshire, at the foot of the Ochils, and near the Devon's right bank, 6 miles NE. of Alloa. Its academy, a domed Grecian edifice (1818-67), founded under the will of Captain John M'Nab (1732-1802), a Dollar herdboy and London shipowner, gives higher and secondary education to 800 pupils of both sexes. A mile north are the noble ruins of Castle Campbell, crowning an almost insulated knoll, with King's Seat (2111 feet) rising behind. It belonged to the Argylls from 1465 till 1805, in 1556 sheltered John Knox, and in 1645 was burned by Montrose. Pop. 1607.