Domin'ica (Fr. Dominique), the largest and most southerly British island in the Leeward group of the Lesser Antilles, midway between the French islands of Martinique and Guadeloupe. Area, 291 sq. m.; population, 30,000, mostly negroes, with a few Caribs and whites, and two-thirds speaking a French patois. Dominica is of volcanic origin, with many hot and sulphureous springs. In 1880 there was a great eruption of volcanic ash from the 'Boiling Lake' at the southern extremity of the island. The temperature is cool and even chilly in the mountains, but sultry on the coast; rain falls nearly every month, and the annual rainfall is 83 inches. Nearly one-half of the surface consists of wooded mountains and deep ravines, and at one point the surface attains 6234 feet. Agriculture is confined to a narrow coast strip. The principal product is sugar, but fruit, coffee, cocoa, and timber also are exported, and the fisheries are valuable. The capital is Roseau, a port on the west coast, with a pop. of 4500. The majority of the inhabitants are Roman Catholics. Dominica was discovered by Columbus, on his second voyage, on Sunday (whence its name 'the Lord's Day'), 3d November 1493. In 1648 it was declared by the treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle a neutral island; but in 1759 it was captured by England, and in 1763 ceded by France, who, however, held it again in 1778-83, and in 1802-14, when it was finally restored to Britain.