Domremy-la-Pucelle, Joan of Arc's birthplace, a village in the French dep. of Vosges, on the Meuse, 8 miles N. of Neufchateau.
Donauworth (Do-now-vert), a decayed town of Bavaria, at the confluence of Wornitz and Danube, 25 miles NNW. of Augsburg by rail. Pop. 3857. Marlborough carried the intrenched camp of the French and Bavarians near here in 1704; and here in 1805 the French defeated the Austrians.
Dondra Head. See Ceylon.
of 10,000. In the operations against the Mahdi, in 1884-85, the town was employed by the British as a base; in March 1886 the British forces were withdrawn, and Dongola, with all Nubia, fell into the possession of the Sudanese. - Old Dongola is a ruined town on the Nile's right bank, 75 miles SSE. of New Dongola. The capital of the kingdom of Dongola, it was destroyed by the Mamelukes in 1820.
Doon, an Ayrshire river, made classic by Burns, issues from Loch Enoch, and runs north-west, through Loch Doon, a gloomy sheet of water, 6 miles long by § mile wide, past Dalmellington, Burns's Monument, and Alloway Kirk, and falls into the Firth of Clyde 2 miles S. of Ayr. Its whole length is 30 miles.
Dordogne (Dor-don'). adep. in the SW. of France, formed of the ancient Guiennese district of Peri-gord, with small portions of Agenais, Limousin, and Angoumois. Area, 3530 sq. m.; pop. (1861) 501,687; (1901) 448,545. It derives its name from the river Dordogne, which, after a course of 305 miles (185 navigable), unites with the Garonne to form the large estuary of the Gironde. Dordogne has five arrondissements - Bergerac, Nontron, Perigueux (the capital), Riberac, and Sarlat.