Doncaster, a municipal borough in the West Riding of Yorkshire, and an important railway junction, on the right bank of the Don, 33 miles S. of York, and 156 NNW. of London. Fine old elms line the broad and level road from the town to the racecourse. Doncaster is well built, and the High Street is a mile long. The parish church was rebuilt by Sir G. G. Scott, after destruction by fire, in 1853-58, at a cost of £43,128. Its noble tower is 170 feet high. The water-works, constructed in 1880, were opened at a cost of £180,000. The town has manufactures of iron, brass, sacking, linen, and agricultural machines. The locomotive and carriage works of the Great Northern Railway are at Doncaster. The agricultural trade is large, and there is a corn-market. Pop. (1851) 12,042; (1881) 21,130; (1901) 28,932. Doncaster was the ancient Danum, and lay on the Roman road from York to Lincoln. It was the Dona Castre of the Saxons. The Saxon Northumbrian kings had a palace here. Doncaster was burned by lightning in 759, and frequently ravaged by the Danes. It has long been famous for its annual races, begun in 1703, and held a mile south-east of the town in the second week of September. Colonel St Leger, in 1776, founded stakes which have been yearly run for by the best horses in England. See Tomlin-son's History of Doncaster (1887).