Drayton-in-Hales. See Market-Drayton.
Dreux (nearly Dreh; anc. Durocassis), a town in the dep. of Eure-et-Loir, on the Blaise, 27 miles NNW. of Chartres by rail. It lies at the foot of a hill crowned with the ruins of the castle of the Counts of Dreux; from among them rises a beautiful chapel, erected by the mother of Louis-Philippe in 1816, to which were removed in 1876 the remains of him and other members of the House of Orleans who had died in exile. Pop. 8920. In 1562 the Constable Montmorency defeated the Huguenots here, and took the Prince of Conde prisoner.
Driffield, Great, the chief town in the Wolds, East Riding of Yorkshire, 11 miles N. of Beverley by rail, is connected with Hull, 19 miles S., by a canal. It manufactures flour, linseed-cake, and artificial manures. Pop. 5703.
Drighlington, a township in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 5 miles SE. of Bradford, with worsted-spinning and coal-mining. Pop. 4322.
Drogheda (Droh'he-da), a seaport of Louth, built mostly on the Boyne's north bank, 4 miles from its mouth, 32 N. of Dublin by rail. The Boyne is crossed here by a railway viaduct 95 feet high. There are linen and cotton manufactures, ironworks, tanneries, breweries, and salt-works, and a considerable export trade, chiefly with Liverpool (140 miles distant). Vessels of 500 tons reach the quay, and barges of 50 tons ply 19 miles up the Boyne to Navan. Pop. (1851) 16,845; (1901) 12,765, almost all Catholics. Till 1885 Drogheda returned one member. From the 14th to the 17th centuries, Drogheda (or Tredah) was the chief military station in Leinster. In 1649 Cromwell stormed the town and massacred the garrison; in 1690 Drogheda surrendered to William III. See D'Alton's History of Drogheda (2 vols. 1844).
Droitwich (Droit'itch), a municipal borough in Worcestershire, on the Salwarpe, 6 miles NNE. of Worcester. Originally British, and probably the Roman SalinAe, it was called Wych from the salt-springs, to which Droit was afterwards prefixed, expressing a legal right to them. Its brine-springs yield over 100,000 tons of salt a year; and the saline baths are visited annually by thousands. Droitwich returned one member till 1885. Pop. 4201. See Bainbrigg's Droitwich Salt Springs (1873).
Drome, a dep. of France, on the east bank of the Rhone. Area, 2508 sq. m.; pop. (1866) 324,231; (1901) 294,704. It is divided into the four arrondissements of Valence (the capital), Montelimar, Die, and Nyons.
Dromore, a town, with linen manufactures, in County Down, on the Lagan, 17 miles SW. of Belfast. It is still the seat of a Catholic diocese, but its Episcopal one was in 1842 united with Down. Jeremy Taylor was Bishop of Dromore, and lies buried here in his cathedral. Pop. 2309.