Duisburg (Doo'is-boorg), a town of Rhenish Prussia, 16 m. N. of Dusseldorf by rail, in a fertile district between the Ruhr and Rhine, with both of which it is connected by a canal. Its manufactures include tobacco, soda, sulphuric acid, soap, candles, starch, and sugar; and in and near it are great ironworks and coal-mines. Pop. (1816) 4508; (1900) 92,730 (nearly half Protestants).
Dulverton, a town of Somerset, on the Barle, 12 miles NNW. of Tiverton. Pop. 1265.
Dulwich (Dul'litch), a suburb of London, in the north-east of Surrey, 4 1/2 miles S. of St Paul's Cathedral, and a little to the west of Sydenham. It consists chiefly of villa residences, and is noted for its college and picture-gallery. The college was founded in 1619 by Edward Alleyn, the actor, and comprises almshouses, upper and lower schools, a chapel, etc, the upper school transferred in 1870 to new buildings, erected at a cost of nearly £100,000. The picture-gallery was bequeathed by the painter Sir Peter Francis Bourgeois (1756-1811). Dulwich was in 1885 included in Camberwell parliamentary borough. Pop. 97,320. See works by Hovenden (1873), Blanch (1877), Galer (1891), and W. Young (1891).
Duna. See Dwina.
Dunbar, a town on the rocky coast of Haddingtonshire, backed by the Lammermuirs, 29 miles E. of Edinburgh by rail. Little remains of its sea-built castle, the stronghold from 1072 to 1435 of Gospatric and his descendants, the Earls of Dunbar and March. In 1339 'Black Agnes ' held it for six weeks against the English; but it was dismantled in 1568, the year after Queen Mary's abduction hither by Bothwell. Dunbar was the scene, too, of Cromwell's great victory over Leslie, 3d September 1650. Fishing is the principal industry, and the new Victoria Harbour was formed in 1844. Dunbar was created a royal burgh by David II., and till 1885 it united with Haddington, etc. to return one member. Pop. 3581
Dunbarton. See Dumbarton.
Dunblane, a town of Perthshire, on the left bank of Allan Water, 5 miles N. of Stirling by rail. Founded by St Blane, a 7th-century bishop, its church was rebuilt in 1141 by David I. as a cathedral; but except for the Romanesque four lower stages of the steeple (128 feet), that cathedral is now a First Pointed edifice of a hundred years later - its glory the west window, than which Mr Ruskin knew 'nothing so perfect in its simplicity.' The choir was restored in 1873; the ruinous nave in 1893. In 1661 the saintly Robert Leighton chose Dunblane as the poorest and smallest of Scotland's sees; his path near the river still bears the name of the Bishop's Walk, and the library which he bequeathed to his diocese is still preserved in the town. There are also an antique bridge, a mineral spring, and a fine hydropathic (1876); 2 1/2 miles to the east is the battlefield of Sheriffmuir. Pop. 2516.