Duncansbay Head, a promontory, 210 feet high, forming the north-east extremity of Caithness, 18 miles N. by E. of Wick.
Dundalk (Dun-dawk'), a thriving seaport, the capital of County Louth, on Dundalk Bay, 55 miles N. of Dublin. It has salt-works, a distillery, an iron-foundry, flax-spinning, tanning, and shipbuilding. The harbour has been much improved. Pop. (1871) 11,327; (1901)13,076. Dundalk sent one member to parliament till 1885. It was taken by Edward Bruce (1315), Cromwell (1649), and Schomberg (1689).
Dundas', (1) a baronial castle, dating from the 11th to the 15th century, on the south bank of the Firth of Forth, near South Queensferry, the seat' from about 1124 till 1875 of the Dundas family. - (2) A town of Wentworth county, Ontario, at the head of Burlington Bay, at the west of Lake Ontario, with mills and manufactories. Pop. 3709. - (3) An island of British Columbia, 40 miles NE. of Queen Charlotte Island. - (4) A group of nearly 500 coral islets (also called Juba Islands), off the east coast of Africa, in about 1° S. lat., with only one safe harbour. - (5) A strait, 18 miles wide, in North Australia, separating Melville Island from Coburg Peninsula.
Dundrennan, a ruined Cistercian abbey (1142), 5 miles ESE. of Kirkcudbright.
Dungannon, a municipal borough in County Tyrone, 40 miles W. of Belfast by rail. It manufactures linen and coarse earthenware; and near it are large lime-quarries and collieries. Till 1885 it returned one member. Dungannon was the chief seat of the O'Neils till 1607. Its castle was destroyed in 1641. Pop. 3694.
Dungarpur. See Dongarpur.
Dungarvan, a Waterford seaport, 141 miles SW. of Dublin. Pop. (1861) 8614; (1901) 4850, chiefly engaged in fishing. It has remains of an Augustinian abbey, founded in the 7th c. by St Garvan, and of walls erected by King John, who also built the castle, now used as barracks. Till 1885 it returned one member. Dungarvan Bay is 3 miles long and 3 wide, and 1 to 5 fathoms deep.
Dungeness, a headland on the south coast of Kent, 10 1/2 miles SE. of Rye, with a lighthouse.
Dunipace. See Denny.
Dunkeld', a town of Perthshire, 16 miles NNW. of Perth. It lies in a deep romantic hollow, on the great east pass (of Birnam, q.v.) to the Highlands, on the left bank of the Tay, here spanned by Telford's handsome bridge (1805-9). A Culdee church was founded here about 815; and in 1107 Alexander I. revived the bishopric, one of whose holders was Gawin Douglas (1474-1522), translator of Virgil's Aeneid. The Cameronians successfully held the place against 5000 Highlanders, 21st August 1689. The cathedral was built between 1318 and 1501, and comprises nave, choir (now the parish church), chapter-house, and tower, with the Wolf of Badenoch's monument (1394). The Duke of Athole's beautiful grounds include the cathedral; Craigvinean and Craig-y-Barns; 50 miles of walks, and 30 miles of drives; falls of the Bran (upper one 80 feet); and 20 sq. m. of larchwood. Pop. (1831) 1471; (1901) 586.