Dunstanburgh, a ruined castle (1315) on the Northumbrian coast, 7 miles NE. of Alnwick.
Dunster, a town of Somerset, 24 miles WNW. of Bridgwater. Pop. of parish, 1114.
Dunwich, a Suffolk coast-village of 213 inhabitants, 4 1/2 miles S. of Southwold. Made the episcopal see of the Anglic Southfolk in 630, it became a large place, but has mostly been swept away by the sea. It returned two members till 1832, and till 1883 was a municipal borough.
Duppel, or Dybbol, a village in the Prussian province of Sleswick-Holstein, 15 miles NE. of Flensburg. In 1848 its fortifications were stormed by the Germans; and again in 1864, by the Prussians, after a month's bombardment.
Dura Den, between Cupar and St Andrews, Fife, a small glen traversed by a tributary of the Eden, and famous for the numerous and beautifully preserved fossil fish entombed in its yellow sandstone. See Dr Anderson's Dura Den (1859).
Durango (called also Guadiana and Ciudad de Victoria), an episcopal city of Mexico, on a dry plateau, 6700 feet above sea-level, 500 miles NW. of the city of Mexico. Pop. 27,000. Area of state of Durango, 42,373 sq. m.; pop. 370,000.
Durazzo (Serb Dratsch, Albanian Durresi; ana Epidamnos or Dyrrachmm), a decayed port of Turkish Albania, on the Adriatic, 50 miles S. of Scutari. Pop. 1200.
Durban, the seaport of Natal," is situated on the northern shore of a nearly landlocked tidal bay. It was laid out in 1834 by the Dutch, who had formed a republic in Natal before the British under Sir Benjamin D'Urban occupied it in 1842. Its public buildings include a town-hall, museum, library, theatre, etc. The Town Gardens form a conspicuous open space in the middle of the town, and besides the Botanical Gardens, there are two public parks and a good racecourse. The residences are chiefly situated on the Berea, a low range of hills overlooking the town. The climate, though hot, is healthy; and the town is well supplied with water and tramways. Harbour-works (1888-91) have made the inner harbour (4700 acres) accessible to large vessels. Durban is the terminus of railways into the Trausvaal and Orange River provinces. Pop. (1866) 4991; (1904) 67,850. See the history of the town by Ingram (1900).