Durisdeer

Durisdeer, a parish of upper Nithsdale, 21 miles NNW. of Dumfries. In its church are interesting monuments of the Queensberry family.

Durkheim

Durkheim (Durk'hime), a town of Rhenish Bavaria, 6 miles SW. of Mannheim. Pop. 6311.

Durlach

Durlach (Door'lahh), a town of Baden, on the Pfinz, 4 miles E. of Carlsruhe by rail. Pop. 11,350.

Durrenstein

Durrenstein (Dur'ren-stine), a village of Lower Austria, on the left bank of the Danube, 45 miles WNW. of Vienna. In its ruined castle, Richard ;ur-de-Lion was confined by Leopold of Austria for three months. Pop. 650.

Durrow

Durrow, a market-town of Queen's county, 2 miles NW. of Attanagh station. Pop. 557.

Dursley

Dursley, a town of Gloucestershire, near the Coteswold hills, 15 miles SW. of Gloucester by rail. Pop. of parish, 2369.

Dwarka

Dwarka, a town with a lighthouse near the north-west corner of the peninsula of Kathiawar, 235 miles SW. of Ahmedabad. On an eminence stands a great temple of Krishna, visited annually by 10,000 pilgrims. Pop. 5000.

Dwina

Dwina, two important rivers of Russia. - (1) The Northern Dwina is formed by the Suchona and the Jug, two streams rising in the government of Vologda, and uniting in 60° 46' N. lat., 46° 20' E. long. It flows north-westward through a flat country, to the Gulf of Archangel, which it enters by three principal mouths, of which only the easternmost is navigable. Its length is 450 miles (with the Suchona, 760). The chief tributaries are the Vaga, Emza, Pinega, and Vyt-chegda, the last 625 miles long (500 navigable). The river is free from ice from May to October. Its waters are rich in fish. - (2) The Western Dwina (Ger. Duna) rises in the government of Tver, not far from the sources of the Volga and the Dnieper, and flows 580 miles WSW. and WNW. to the Gulf of Riga, being navigable from the Mezha's confluence, although shallows and rapids greatly impede traffic. It is connected by canals with the Black Sea, the Caspian, the Gulf of Finland, etc.

Dyrrhachium

Dyrrhachium. See Durazzo.

Dysart

Dy'sart, an old-fashioned seaport of Fife, on the Firth of Forth, 2 1/2 miles NE. of Kirkcaldy, much of whose extended municipal burgh lies within Dysart's parliamentary boundary. It owes its name (Lat. desertum, ' a solitude ') to St Serf's cave near Dysart House, Lord Rosslyn's seat. James V. made it a royal burgh, and with Kirkcaldy, etc, it returns one member. Pop. of royal burgh, 3539; of parliamentary, 15,256.

Dzungaria

Dzungaria. See Zungaria.

EAGLE

EAGLE, an island of County Mayo, 3 miles SW. of Erris Head.

Eaglehawk

Eaglehawk, a gold-mining town of Victoria, 4 miles NNW. of Bendigo. Pop. 8315.

Eaglesham

Eaglesham, a Renfrewshire village, 8 1/2 miles S. of Glasgow. Pop. (1861) 1769; (1901) 686.

Ealing

Ealing, a municipal borough (1901) of Middlesex, 5 3/4 miles W. of Paddington by rail. It is the birthplace of Huxley. Pop. 36,000.

Earlestown

Earlestown, a town of Lancashire, 5 miles N. of Warrington. It has manufactures of sugar, iron, etc. Pop. S000.