Dusseldorf, the chief town of the populous district of Dusseldorf, in Rhenish Prussia, on the right bank of the Rhine, at the influx of the Dussel, 24 miles NNW. of Cologne. Its ramparts were converted into promenades in 1802; its streets are regular and spacious, while the squares and garden-grounds in and near the town are tastefully laid out and embellished with fountains and statues. Dusseldorf has developed its trade and industries, but its chief importance is still as an art centre. In the market-place rises a colossal equestrian statue of the Elector Joliann Wilhelm, who founded a famous picture-gallery here 'in 1690, most of which, however, was removed to Munich in 1805. The Dusseldorf Academy was founded in 1767, and attained great eminence during 1822-59, under the management of Cornelius and Schadow. The present building, an imposing Renaissance edifice, with a facade 520 feet in length, was finished in 1879. The Art Hall (1881) contains a gallery of modern paintings. Among the other principal buildings are the old electoral palace (1710-1846; burned 1872); the present palace, the residence of the governor of the province; the government house, the observatory, town-hall (1567), theatre, gymnasium, public library (50,000 vols.), St Andrew's (1629), formerly the church of the Jesuits, and St Lambert (14th c). The Hofgarten is one of the finest public gardens in Germany. The iron and cotton industries of Dusseldorf are very important, and it has also manufactures of pianofortes, paper, soap, beer, chemicals, tobacco, chocolate, glass, etc, besides mills of all kinds, and photographic, lithographic, printing, and other industries. Pop. (1875) 80,750; (1SS5) 115,190; (1900) 213,767 - mostly Catholics. Made a town by the Duke of Berg in 1288, Dusseldorf became the capital of the duchy in 1385; in 1609 passed to the Palatinate; and in 1815 it was united to Prussia. The brothers Jacobi, Heine, Varnhagen von Ense, and Cornelius were natives.