Elginshire, or Moray, a Scottish county extending 33 miles along the low shore of the Moray Firth. It is 34 miles long, and 488 sq. m. in area, a former detached portion having in 1870 been annexed to Inverness-shire, whilst a corresponding portion was transferred from that county to Elginshire. The surface has a general southward ascent, and attains a maximum altitude of 2328 feet. Rivers are the Spey, Lossie, and Findhorn; and of several small lakes much the largest is Lochindorb (2 miles by 5 furlongs). West of the Findhorn's mouth are the sand-dunes of Culbin, due to drifting chiefly in 1694, and some of them rising 118 feet. Agriculture is highly advanced over all the flat fertile lower tract. Elgin and Nairn shires return one member to parliament. Pop. (1801) 27,760; (1841) 35,012; (1901) 44,S00. The ancient province of Moray included the counties of Elgin and Nairn, with parts of Banff and Inverness. Antiquities are Kinloss Abbey (1150), Pluscarden Priory (1230), a Romanesque church at Birnie, and the castles of Duffus, Lochindorb, and Spynie. See the history by Rampini (1897).