Elster

Elster, the name of two rivers of Germany. The White Elster rises at the foot of the Elster Mountains, on the NW. boundary of Bohemia, and flows 122 miles N. to the Saale, above Halle, in Prussian Saxony. The Black Elster rises in Saxony, south of Elstra, and flows 112 miles NW. to the Elbe, 9 miles SE. of Wittenberg.

Elstow

Elstow, Bunyan's birthplace, 1 1/2 mile S. of Bedford.

Elstree

Elstree, a village on the south border of Herts, 7 miles S. of St Albans, with a noted school. Pop. 750. In a gig on the road near Elstree, Thurtell in 1823 shot Weare; and the 'Gills Hill murder' and trial largely occupied contemporary literature.

Elswick

Elswick, a western part of Newcastle, forming three wards of the county borough. Here are the works of Sir W. G. (Lord) Armstrong. The engineering section dates from 1847, the ordnance-works from 1857. Elswick Park, including Elswick Hall, was opened as a recreation ground in 1878.

Eltham

Eltham, seat formerly of a royal palace in Kent, now part of the metropolitan borough of Woolwich (q.v.).

Elton

Elton, a shallow, oval-shaped salt lake of Russia, 62 sq. m. in area, is situated in the government of Astrakhan, in lat. 48° 56' N., and long. 46° 40' E. The annual yield of salt ranges between 88,000 and 96,000 tons.

Elvas

Elvas, the strongest fortified city of Portugal, near the Spanish frontier, 10 miles W. of Badajoz by rail. Pop. 13,471.

Emba

Emba, a river in the Kirghiz territory, Asiatic Russia, flowing 450 miles SW. to the Caspian.

Embrun

Embrun (Ongbrung'; anc. Ebrodunum), a fortified town in the French dep. of Hautes Alpes, on the Durance, and at the base of Mont St Guil-laume (8344 feet), 23 miles E. of Gap by rail. The cathedral of its former see (374-1802) has a lofty Romanesque tower. Pop. 3857.

Emden

Emden, the chief commercial town in the Prussian province of Hanover, a little below the embouchure of the Ems into Dollart Bay, 77 miles WNW. of Bremen by rail. Walled and moated, it is well built, with several lofty antique houses in the Dutch style, and is intersected by numerous canals. A canal runs south from the town to Dollart Bay, a distance of two miles; but it is navigable at high-water only, and then only by vessels of 14 feet draught. The finest building is the town-hall (1574-76). Emden has a large shipping trade and several manufactures; the principal industry, however, is shipbuilding. Pop. 17,020. Emden belonged originally to East Friesland, and after various vicissitudes was created a free imperial town under Dutch protection in 1595, but in 1744 passed to Prussia. After belonging successively to Holland, France, and Hanover, it again became Prussian in 1866.

Emilia

Emilia, a compartimento of Central Italy, comprising the provinces of Bologna, Ferrara, Forli, Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Ravenna, and Reggio Emilia. Through them passed the ancient Via Aemilia, and hence the name.