Ely (Ea'lie), a city of Cambridgeshire, crowns a low eminence on the left bank of the Ouse, amid the fen-land, 16 miles NNE. of Cambridge, and 30 SE. of Peterborough. Here, in 673, St Ethel-dreda founded a mixed monastery, which, burned in 870 by the Danes, was refounded in 970 as a Benedictine abbey. That abbey a century later became Hereward's ' camp of refuge,' until, in 1071, Abbot Thurstan had to surrender to the Conqueror. In 1083 the first Norman abbot laid the foundation of the present church, which was made a cathedral in 1109, and which, as we see it to-day, is one of the most glorious shrines in Christendom. A cruciform structure, 537 feet long by 179 feet across the great transepts, it offers examples of all styles of Gothic, from early Norman to late Perpendicular, and is a growth of more than four centuries. There is the western tower, 225 feet high (1174-1382); the late Norman nave (1150-89), 208 by 78 feet, with modern painted ceiling; the richly sculptured choir (1234-1533); and at the crossing, the exquisite Decorated ' octagon' and lantern (1322-42), built by Alan de Walsingham on the fall of the great central tower. This, ' the only Gothic dome in existence,' rises to a height of 170 feet. The 13th-century Guesten Hall is now the deanery, and the 'Ely Porta,' or great gateway (1380), houses a grammar-school founded by Henry VIII. in 1541. The Bishop's Palace is a fine brick Tudor building. Cromwell lived here 1636-40. There is a weekly market; and oil, earthenware, and clay-pipes are manufactured. The population is about 7700. The 'Isle' of Ely contains also March and Wisbeach, and is 355 sq. m. in area. Till 1837 it was a county palatine.