Emmerich (Em'mer-ihh), an old town of Rhenish Prussia, on the Rhine, 94 miles by rail E. of Rotterdam. It manufactures iron, glass, tobacco, etc. The seat of a famous Jesuit seminary from 1592 to 1811, its pop. dwindled from 40,000 in the 15th century to 8000; it is now 11,000.
Ems, a river of north-west Germany, rises in Westphalia, on the south-west slope of the Teuto-burger Wald, and flows 205 miles NW. and N. to Dollart Bay, an estuary of the German Ocean. It is navigable as far as Greven (139 miles), and canals connect it with the Lippe and Jade.
Ems, or Bad Ems, a German bathing-place known to the Romans, on the river Lahn, 10 miles ESE. of Coblenz by rail. Pop. 6431, a number more than doubled by patients. Its warm mineral springs (80-135°) contain soda and carbonic acid gas. Here, in 1870, Benedetti got his final answer from King William.
Enara, an isleted lake in the extreme north of Finland, 550 sq. m. in area.
Enarea, or Limmu, a kingdom of Africa, SW. of Shoa, with an area of over 1100 sq. m., and 40,000 inhabitants. It is a land of forest-clad hills, over 8000 feet high, their slopes covered with the wild coffee-plant. Its people, a stem of the Gallas, are mostly Mohammedans. The chief town is Saka, near the river Gibbe.
Enderby Land lies in 65° 57' S. lat., 47° 20' E. long., discovered by the whaler John Briscoe in 1831, and named after his etnployer, Samuel Enderby, an adventurous London merchant, the grandfather of Chinese Gordon.
Endrick, a Stirlingshire stream, winding 20 miles westward to the foot of Loch Lomond.
Enfield, a town of Middlesex, 13 miles N. of London. The government small-arms factory here is capable of turning out 5000 rifles a week; the ordinary output is, however, about 1800. Pop. (1851) 9453; (1891) 31,532; (1901) 42,738.
Engadine (Eng'ga-deen), a famous valley in the Swiss canton of the Grisons, and one of the loftiest inhabited regions in Europe, extends 65 miles NNE. along the Inn and its lakes, from the foot of Mount Maloja to the village of Martinsbruck. It is divided into two portions - the Upper Engadine towards the south-west, and the Lower Engadine to the north-east, the latter the wilder and bleaker of the two. The Inn has many villages upon its banks, the highest of which, St Moritz, is 6090 feet above sea-level, while the lowest, Martinsbruck, is 3343 feet. Most of these villages have of late years become health and pleasure resorts. Pop. 11,600, almost all of the Reformed Church. The language most generally spoken is the Ladin (a corruption of Latin), a Romance tongue, resembling Italian.