Entrecasteaux. See D'Entrecasteaux.
Entre Douro e Minho (Entray Dooro-ay-Meen'yo), or simply Minho, a province of NW. Portugal, is bounded N. by the river Minho, and S. by the Douro. Area, 2810 sq. m.; pop. 1,014,768. It comprises three districts, Braga, Vianna, and Oporto (the capital).
Eperies (Ay-pay-ree-esh'; Slovak Pressova), an old town of Hungary, on the Tarcza, 150 miles NE. of Pesth by rail. A fire of 7th May 1887 destroyed 400 houses. It manufactures earthenware, linens, and woollens; and in the vicinity are the Sovar salt-works. Pop. 15,139.
Epernay (Ay-per-nay'), a French town in Marne, the headquarters of the wines of Champagne, on the Marne's left bank, 19 miles WNW. of Chalons. It manufactures earthenware, hosiery, refined sugar, and leather. Pop. (1872) 12,877; (1891) 18,252; (1901) 19,243.
Eph'esus, an ancient Ionic city of Asia Minor in Lydia, near the mouth of the Cayster, celebrated for the famous temple of the Ephesian Diana, the largest Greek temple ever built. It was the seat of one of the Seven Churches of Asia, and the scene of a great church council in 431, but perished utterly during the later Byzantine empire. There is now a wretched village, Ayasaluk, on its site; the ancient ruins include the theatre, the odeon, and the temple, excavated by Mr Wood in 1869-74.
Epinal (Ay-pee-nahl'), capital of the French dep. of Vosges, at the western base of the Vosges Mountains, on the Moselle, 46 miles SSE. of Nancy by rail. It has a ruined castle, a church founded about 960, and manufactures of cotton, paper, etc. Pop. (1872) 10,938; (1901) 21,392, an increase largely due to the influx of Alsatians.
Epirus (Ep-i'rus), a mountainous region of the Balkan Peninsula, between Mount Pindus and the Ionian Sea. Peopled largely since the 14th century by Albanians, it formed latterly a part of the Turkish vilayet of Janina. Under pressure from the great powers, Turkey ceded the portion east of the river Arta to Greece in 1881.
Epsom, a market-town of Surrey, on the margin of the Banstead Downs, 15 miles SSW. of London. The sulphate of magnesia springs, which made Epsom so fashionable a resort in the later half of the 17th century, gave name to the Epsom salt formerly manufactured from them. The Royal Medical College (1851), on the Downs, provides education for the sons of medical men, and affords a home to decayed members of the profession and their widows. Pop. (1841) 3533; (1901) 10,915. On the Downs, 1 1/2 mile S. of the town, the famous horseraces are held yearly; the Derby stakes dating from 1780.