Ercildoune. See Earlston.
Eretria, an ancient trading town on the SW. coast of Eubœ;a.
Ericht, Loch, a lonely lake between Perth and Inverness shires, 1 mile from Dalwhinnie station, and 60 miles NW. of Perth. Lying 1153 feet above sea-level, it stretches 14 3/4 miles SSW., is 512 feet deep, is overhung by Ben Alder (3757 feet), and sends off a stream 6 miles to Loch Rannoch. - Another Ericht runs 10 miles SE. to the Isla near Coupar-Angus.
Erid'anus. See Po.
Erin. See Ireland.
Erith, a town of Kent, on the right bank of the Thames, 15 1/2 miles by rail E. of Charing Cross. It is a summer-resort for Londoners, and the headquarters of several yacht clubs; in the Erith and Plumstead Marshes are large powder-magazines, the scene of a great explosion (1864). Here the Grace de Dieu was built in 1515. Pop. of parish (1851) 3231; (1901) 25,296. See C. J. Smith's History of Erith (1873).
Eritrea. See Italy.
Erivan' (Persian Rewan), the fortified capital of a Transcaucasian government, on the elevated plain to the north of Ararat, on the river Sanga, 3432 feet above sea-level. The town dates probably from the 7th century a.d.; in later years it was held alternately by Persians and Turks. Pop. 29,000. The province has an area of 10,165 sq. m., and a pop. of 805,000, nearly all Armenians and Tartars. See Etchmiadzin.
Erlangen (Er'lang-en), a town of Bavaria, on the Regnitz, 12 miles N. of Nuremberg. As old as the 10th century, it owes its prosperity to the settlement here of French Huguenots (1685), and to its university (1743), which is celebrated as a school of Protestant theology, and attended by from 600 to 900 students. A statue of its founder, the Margrave Frederick of Brandenburg-Baireuth, was erected in the market-place in 1843. There are manufactures of hosiery, gloves, mirrors, tobacco, and especially beer. Burned in 1449 and 1632, Erlangen came to Bavaria in 1809. Pop. 25,000.
Erlau (Er'low; Hung. Eger), a city of Hungary, on the Erlau, 89 miles NE. of Pesth. It has a domed cathedral, built since 1837 at a cost of £67,000, and 328 feet long; a lyceum (1761-99), with library and observatory; a hospital (1830); and two warm baths. The Erlau red wine is the best of Hungary. Pop. 25,427.