Eskilstuna, 55 miles W. of Stockholm, is a very important centre of the Swedish iron and steel industries, and is very famous for its cutlery. Pop. 15,000.
Esla, a northern tributary of the Douro.
Esmeraldas (Span., 'Emeralds'), the most northerly maritime province of Ecuador. Area, 5200 sq. m.; pop. 14,600. - The capital, Esmeraldas (pop. 3000), stands 10 miles from the mouth of the navigable river Esmeraldas.
Espir'itu Santo, (1) the largest and most westerly island of the New Hebrides, with an area of 1868 sq. m., and a pop. of 20,000. - (2) An island in the Gulf of California, 30 miles N. of La Paz. - (3) A cape of Tierra del Fuego.
Esquimalt, a port with docks at the south end of Vancouver Island, on Juan de Fuca Strait, 5 miles W. of Victoria. Till Canada assumed military and naval responsibility in 1905, it was used as a British naval station. Its admirable harbour, connected by rail with the coalfield of Nanaimo, has increased since the opening of the Canadian Pacific Railway, and the connected Japanese and Australian mail routes. Pop. 1500.
Essek (Roman Mursia), the capital of Slavonia, on the right bank of the Drave, 12 miles above its confluence with the Danube, and 189 S. of Pesth by rail. It has been the seat of a bishopric since 335 a.d. Pop. 23,000.
Essen, a town in Rhenish Prussia, 22 miles by rail NE. of Dusseldorf, stands in the midst of a rich coal and iron district. It possesses numerous establishments for manufacturing iron, chief among them being the celebrated Krupp works and cannon-foundries, whose hands have risen from 74 men in 1848 to over 30,000. There are other manufactures. Pop. (1875) 54,852 ; (1900)182,100. Although its industrial activity is recent, the town itself dates from the foundation of the Benedictine nunnery in 873.
Essendon, in Victoria, 5 miles NW. of Melbourne, has a pop. of 16,000.
Essequi'bo, the most westerly of the great rivers of British Guiana, rises in the Acarai Mountains, 46 miles N. of the equator, and after a course of 620 miles enters the Atlantic, forming an estuary 15 miles wide, in which lie numerous fertile islands, but the entrance to which is much silted up. Navigable for 35 miles only, owing to cataracts, it receives a number of large tributaries, as the Rupununi, and the united Cuyuni and Mazaruni; on the Potaro, another affluent, is the grand Kaieteur Fall, 741 feet in sheer descent, discovered in 1870.