Eureka, (1) a port and capital of Humboldt county, California, on Humboldt Bay, with lumber-mills ; pop. 7658. - (2) A town, capital of Eureka county, Nevada, 90 miles by rail S. of the Palisades station on the Central Pacific Railroad. Here are silver and lead mines; pop. 1000.
Euri'pus. See Chalcis, EubŒa.
Eutaw Springs, a small affluent of the Santee River, in South Carolina. Near it, in the last serious battle in the war of independence, 8th September 1781, the Americans were repulsed after a desperate engagement.
Euxine. See Black Sea.
Evansville, a port of entry and capital of Vanderburg county, Indiana, on the Ohio, 162 miles ESE. of St Louis by rail, with a city-hall, a court-house, a handsome post-office and customhouse, and a public library and art gallery. Coal and iron ore abound near by, and the town has a large number of mills, foundries, etc. Pop. (1870) 21,830 ; (1S80) 29,280; (1900) 59,007.
Everest, Mount, a peak of the Himalayas, in Nepal, and the highest ascertained point on the globe's surface, attains 29,002 feet above the sea, in 27° 59' 12" N. lat., and 86° 58' 6" E. long. It was named in honour of Sir George Everest (1790-1866), surveyor-general of India.
Everglades, a large shallow lake or marsh in southern Florida, enclosing thousands of densely-wooded islets, with many alligators.
Everton, a NE. district of Liverpool.
Evesham (Eevz'am), a borough of Worcestershire, on the right bank of the navigable Avon, 15 miles SE. of Worcester. It lies in a fertile vale, and the chief industry is market-gardening. There are a fine modern bridge, public gardens, water-works (1884), a 16th-century guildhall, etc.; the stately Benedictine abbey (709) is represented chiefly by a beautiful Perpendicular belfry (1533). Till '1867 Evesham returned two members, till 1885 one. Simon de Montfort was defeated here, 4th August 1265. Pop. (1851) 4605; (1901) 7101. See May's History of Evesham (1845).
E'vora (anc. Ebora), the capital of the Portuguese province of Alemtejo, 72 miles E. of Lisbon by rail. It is surrounded by ruinous walls, and unfinished modern fortifications as yet. A very ancient city, it has an archiepiscopal cathedral (1186) and a wealth of Roman antiquities (a temple of Diana, a still-used aqueduct, and a beautiful tower, dating from 70 B.C.). There are some manufactures of cotton, cloth, and hats, and a trade in wine. Pop. 15,046.