Fano (Fah-no; Lat. Fanum Fortunœ, from the temple of Fortune commemorating Hasdrubal's defeat on the Metaurus), a seaport of Italy, on the Adriatic, 29 miles NW. of Ancona by rail. It has a cathedral, and a marble triumphal arch raised in honour of Augustus. Pop. 9984.
Fareham, a market-town and watering-place of Hampshire, on a creek at the north-west end of Portsmouth harbour, 9 miles NW. of Portsmouth. It has earthenware manufactures and shipbuilding. Pop. (1851) 3451; (1901) 8246.
Fargo, capital of Cass county, North Dakota, on the Red River of the North, 254 miles W. of Duluth by rail. From an insignificant village in 1874 it has become the commercial centre of the state. Flour is the chief manufacture. A fire in 1893 did immense damage. Pop. 9664.
Faringdon, a town of Berks, 36 miles WNW. of Reading. Pop. of parish, 3133.
Farnborough, a village on the east border of Hampshire, 32 miles SW. of London, contains part of the camp of Aldershot (q.v.). Near it is Farnborough Hill, the residence of the Empress Eugenie, with the mausoleum whither the remains of her husband and her son were removed from Chiselhurst in 1888.
Farne, Fearne, or Feme Isles, or the Staples, a group of seventeen islets and rocks (area, 80 acres ; pop. 40), 2 to 5 miles off the Northumbrian coast, opposite Bamborough. There are two lighthouses, and on House Island are remains of a Benedictine priory, dedicated to St Cuthbert. Here Grace Darling rescued the survivors of the Forfarshire (1838).
Farnham, a town of Surrey, on the Wey, 38 miles SW. of London by rail. The old castle of the bishops of Winchester, razed by Henry III., and afterwards rebuilt, was garrisoned by Charles I., and restored in 1684 to its present state by Bishop Morley. A handsome Italian town-hall was built in 1866. Moor Park, the seat of Sir William Temple, with memories of Swift and 'stella,' is in the vicinity; so, too, are the remains of Waverley Abbey (1128), whose Annates Waverlienses suggested to Scott the name of his first romance. The chief trade is in hops, a very fine variety being grown here. Toplady and Cobbett were natives. Aldershot Camp (q.v.) is 3 miles NE. Pop. 6545.