Flamborough Head, a Yorkshire promontory, forming the northern horn of Bridlington Bay, 18 miles SE. of Scarborough (by road 24). it terminates a range of steep chalk-cliffs, 300 to 400 feet high, and pierced with many caverns. On the Head is a lighthouse, 214 feet above sea-level, and 80 feet high, seen 21 miles off. Across the peninsula runs the so-called Danes' Dyke, really an ancient British earthwork.
Flanders (Flemish Vlaenderen), the country of the Flemings, a territory lying adjacent to the North Sea, between the Scheldt and the Somme, which embraced the present Belgian provinces of East and West Flanders, the southern portion of Zealand in Holland, and the greater part of ancient Artois in France.
Fleche, La (Flehsh), a French town, in Sarthe, on the Loir, 60 miles NW. of Tours by rail. It manufactures paper, oil, leather, etc, and since 1764 has been the seat of a famous military school (Prytanee), founded in 1607 as a Jesuit college, where Prince Eugene and Descartes were educated. Here, too, are the heart and a statue (1857) of Henri IV.; and here David Hume spent three years (1734-37). Pop. 9375.
Fleetwood, a seaport and military station of Lancashire, at the mouth of the Wyre, 21 miles NW. of Preston by rail. Founded in 1836, it has an excellent harbour, and is a favourite resort for sea-bathing. A new dock was opened in 1877. Steamers ply daily to and from Belfast, and there is a regular service to the Isle of Man. Rossall School (q.v.) is 2 miles to the SW. Pop. (1851) 3121 ; (1901) 12,082.
Flensborg, a seaport in the Prussian province of Sleswick-Holstein, at the extremity of Flensborg Fjord, an inlet of the Baltic, 19 miles N. of the town of Sleswick. It has iron and machine works, copper and zinc factories, shipbuilding-yards, etc.; fishing and fish-curing are also carried on. Pop. 50,000.
Flers (Flayr), a French town, in Orne, 41 miles S. of Caen by rail, with large cotton and linen spinning, bleaching, and dyeing works. Its old castle, burned down in the Chouan war, has been restored. Pop. 14.000.
Fleurus (nearly Fleh-reece'), a town (pop. 5084) of the Belgian province of Hainault, on the Sambre, 15 miles W. of Namur. Three great battles have been fought here : (1) in 1622, when the Germans defeated the Spaniards; (2) in 1690, when the French routed the allied Germans and Dutch; and (3) in 1794, when the French, under Jourdan, defeated the Austrians and their allies.