Fiume (pron. Fu'ma; Illyr. Rika, Lat. Fanum Sti Viti ad flumen), a great seaport of Hungary, at the mouth of the Fiumara, 142 miles WSW. of Agram by rail, and 35 miles ESE. of Trieste across the Istrian peninsula, stands at the head of the beautiful Gulf of Quarnero, in the Adriatic, where the Julian Alps end. Its extensive industries include manufactures of paper, torpedoes, tobacco (government factory, with over 2000 hands), sails, ropes, chemicals, starch, and liqueurs, besides a large petroleum-refinery, rice and flour mills, etc. The tunny-fisheries of the Gulf also are valuable. Fiume's chief importance, however, is as the entrepot of a great and steadily increasing commerce. A free port from 1717 till 1891, it has a harbour with a lighthouse and several breakwaters, which was greatly improved by the Hungarian government in the years following 1872, when new moles and quays with warehouses, and petroleum and other docks, were added, at a cost of upwards of a million sterling, with the immediate effect of increasing the trade (mainly transit) fivefold within the next twelve years. Pop. 39,000.