Fossombro'ne (anc. Forum Sempronii), a cathedral city of Italy, on the Metauro, 10 miles E. of Urbino. Pop. 4266.
Fotheringhay, a village of Northamptonshire, on the Nen, 9 miles SW. of Peterborough. Its castle, founded shortly after the Conquest, in which Mary, Queen of Scots, was beheaded in 1587, was allowed to fall into decay after James I.'s accession to the English throne.
Fougeres, a town in the French dep. of Ille-et-Vilaine, 23 miles by rail N. of Vitre. It has a picturesque old castle, granite-quarries, and manufactures of sailcloth, leather, etc. Here the Ven-deans defeated the republicans in November 1793. Pop. 20,000.
Foula, a lonely island of Shetland, 16 miles WSW. of the nearest point of the mainland. Measuring 3 1/4 by 2 1/2 miles, it is 5 sq. m. in area, and culminates in the Sneug (1372 feet). The Old Red Sandstone cliffs on its north-west side, rising 1220 feet almost sheer from the sea, are denizened in the breeding season by myriads of sea-fowl - puffins, kittiwakes, and the rare great skua or 'bonxie,' which formerly was preserved by the islanders to keep down the eagles. The only landing-place is at the fishing-hamlet of Ham, on the south-east. Foula was the last island where the old Norse tongue lingered on into the 19th century. Pop. 230.
Founded for Cistercians in 1132, it was not completed till the 16th century.
Fourchambault (Foor-shong-bo), a town in the French dep. of Nievre, 5 miles NNW. of Nevers, near the Loire, here crossed by a suspension bridge. There are large iron-foundries, nail-works, and wire-works. Pop. 6126.
Four Lakes, a chain of deep lakes (Mendota, Menona, Waubesa, and Kegonsa) in Dane county, Wisconsin, connected by short outlets. Madison, the state capital, stands on an isthmus between Mendota and Menona.
Fowey, or Foy, an old Cornish town, on the right bank of the river Fowey, 11 miles SSE. of Bodmin. It is the 'Troy Town' and the home of Quiller-Couch. Pilchards are cured, and 'china-stone' and iron ore exported from its harbour. Pop. 2657.