Fort Augustus, a village on the Caledonian Canal, at the head of Loch Ness, 33 miles SW. of Inverness. In 1730 General Wade named a fort here after the Duke of Cumberland. Sold to Lord Lovat (1857), it was presented to the Benedictines, and in 1876-90 converted into a stately abbey. Pop. 611.
Forteviot, the ancient capital of the Picts. Its site is 7 miles SW. of Perth.
Fort Garry. See Winnipeg.
Fort George, a fortress 12 miles NE. of Inverness, on a low sandy projection into the Moray Firth, here only 1 mile broad. Built in 1748 at a cost of £160,000, it covers 12 acres, and can accommodate 2180 men.
Fortrose, a watering-place of Ross-shire, on the inner Moray Firth, 10 miles NNE. of Inverness by a railway (1894). With capital links and good bathing, it is one of the Inverness burghs; and its two portions, Chanonry and Rosemarkie, were constituted a royal burgh in 1590. The seat of a Columban monastery in the 6th century, of the bishopric of Ross from 1124, it retains the south aisle and chapter-house of a fine cathedral, demolished to furnish materials for Cromwell's fort at Inverness. Pop. 10(55.
Fort Royal. See Fort de France.
Fort St George. See Madras.
Fort Sumter. See Sumter.
Fortunate Islands. See Canaries.
Fort Wayne, capital of Allen county, Indiana, at the confluence of the St Joseph and St Mary's rivers, which form the Maumee, and on the Wabash and Brie Canal, 148 miles ESE. of Chicago. It is an important railway centre, and manufactures organs, woollens, engines, etc. It is the seat of a Catholic bishop, and has Methodist (1846) and Lutheran (1850) colleges. Pop. (1870) 17,718; (1890) 35,392; (1900) 45,115.
Fort William, a police-burgh and great tourist centre of Inverness-shire, near the head of saltwater Loch Linnhe, the west base of Ben Nevis, and the south end of the Caledonian Canal, 66 miles SSW. of Inverness. A fort, built here by Monk in 1655, and rebuilt in 1690, was vainly besieged by the Jacobites in 1746. It was dismantled about 1860, and in 1890 made room for the station of the West Highland Railway from Glasgow. Pop. 2087. See also Calcutta.