Fuenterrabia. See Fontarabia.
Fukuoka, a town on the NW. coast of Kiu-shiu Island, Japan, 65 miles NNE. of Nagasaki, with considerable commerce in silk, etc. Pop. 67,000.
Fukushima, a town in the main island of Japan, about 75 miles E. of Niigata. It is an important centre for trade in silkworms' eggs and raw silk. Pop. 21,000.
Fulda, a town of the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau, on the river Fulda, 67 miles NE. of Frankfort-on-the-Main. Its famous Benedictine abbey was founded by St Boniface, the 'Apostle of Germany,' in the 8th century ; from the 10th century it had a primacy over all the abbeys of Germany. The cathedral, six times destroyed by fire, was rebuilt in 1704-12. In 1734-1804 Fulda had a university. Pop. 17,000.
Fulham, one of the metropolitan and parliamentary boroughs (returning one member) of London, in the south of Middlesex, on the left bank of the Thames, 4 1/2 miles SW. of Charing Cross. Here since 1141 has been the palace of the bishops of London, but the present building is mostly not more than a century old. The church is ancient, and contains the tombs of many of the bishops. Fulham also has memories of Bodley, Florio, Richardson, Hallam, Crotch, and Albert Smith.
Fullarton, a suburb of Irvine (q.v.).
Fulnek, a town of Moravia, 10 miles NNW. of Neutitschein. Pop. 3692. Fulnek was formerly a principal seat of the Moravian Brethren, and gave its name to Fulneck in Yorkshire, 5 1/2 miles E. of Bradford, where a Moravian settlement was established in 1748.
Fundy, Bay of, an arm of the Atlantic, separating Nova Scotia from New Brunswick, and branching at its head into Chignecto Bay and Minas Basin. It has an extreme breadth of 45 miles and a length up to Chignecto Bay of 140 miles; it receives the St John, the principal river of New Brunswick, and the St Croix, which separates that province from Maine. The tides rush in with impetuous force, rising 60 to 70 feet.
Funen, or Fuhnen (Dan. Fyen), the largest of the Danish islands after Zealand, is separated from Sleswick and Jutland on the W. by the Little Belt, and from Zealand on the E. by the Great Belt. Area, 1135 sq. m.; pop. 206,528. The coast is flat and sandy, indented on the north by the deep Odense Fjord. The interior is flat, except towards the south and west, where a range of hills rises to 420 feet. The principal towns are Odense, Svendborg, and Nyborg.