Futehgunge, etc. See Fatehganj, etc.
Fyne, Loch, an Argyllshire sea-loch, running 40 miles N. and NE. from the Sound of Bute to beyond Inveraray. It is 1 to 5 miles broad, and 40 to 70 fathoms deep. On the west side it sends off Loch Gilp (2 7/8 x 1¾ miles) leading to the Crinan Canal. The herrings of Loch Fyne are held in high estimation.
Fyzabad (better Faizabad), a city of Oudh, on the Gogra, 78 miles E. of Lucknow by rail. Built on part of the site of Ajodhya (q.v.), it was the capital of Oudh from 1760 to 1780, but is now greatly fallen from its old-time splendour. It maintains, however, an active trade. Pop. 54,927. - For the capital of Badakhshan, see Faizabad.
Gad'ames, or Ghadames (the Cydamus of the Romans), an oasis and town of Africa, on the northern border of the Sahara, in 30° 9' N. lat. and 9° 17' E. long. The gardens owe their fertility to a hot spring (89' F.). The town is an entrepot for manufactures and foreign goods from Tripoli to the interior, and for ivory, beeswax, hides, ostrich-feathers, gold, etc, from the interior to Tripoli. Pop. 10,000.
Gades. See Cadiz.
Gadshill, 3 miles NW. of Rochester, commands a splendid prospect, and was the scene of Fal-staffs famous encounter with the 'rogues in buckram suits.' Gadshill Place, an old-fashioned red-brick house here, which Dickens coveted as a boy, was bought by him in 1856, and was his home from 1860 till his death in 1870.
Ga'eta (Lat. Caieta), a strongly fortified maritime town of Italy, picturesquely situated on a lofty promontory, 50 miles NW. of Naples. On the summit of the promontory stands the circular Roland's tower, said to be the mausoleum of Plancus, the friend of Augustus. The beauty of the Bay of Gaeta, which almost rivals that of Naples, has been celebrated by Virgil and Horace. Often besieged, Gaeta in 1848-49 was the refuge of Pope Pius IX.; in 1860-61 of Francis II. of Naples. The citadel contains the tomb of the Constable Bourbon, killed at the taking of Rome in 1527. Pop. 17,848.
Gaillard, Chateau. See Andelys.
Gainesville, a town of Texas, 34 miles W. of Sherman. Pop. 7563.
Gainsborough, a market-town of Lincolnshire, on the Trent's right bank, 21 miles above its embouchure in the Humber, and 16 miles by rail NW. of Lincoln. It has a parish church, rebuilt in 1736, with the exception of a fine 12th-century tower; a manor-house, built by John of Gaunt, and now forming part of the corn exchange ; and a grammar-school (1589). Vessels drawing 12 feet of water can ascend the Trent to Gainsborough, which manufactures linseed cake and oil, malt, cordage, and machinery. Pop. (1851)7506 ; (1901) 17.660. See the history by Stark (2d ed. 1843).