Galicia, formerly a kingdom and afterwards a province in the north-west of Spain. With an area of 11,340 sq. m., it has been divided since 1833 into the minor provinces of Coruna, Lugo, Orense, and Pontevedra, whose joint pop. is now close on 2,000,000.
Galicia (Polish Halicz), an Austrian province lying between the Carpathians and Russian Poland. Area, 30,300 sq. m.; population, 7,300,000, almost all of Slavonic race, the western part being occupied mainly by Poles, the eastern by Ruthenians. In religion about 2 1/2 millions, mostly Ruthenians, belong to the Greek Church, and nearly 2| millions, chiefly Poles, to the Roman Catholic Church. The southern portion of the country is a high terrace, flanking the northern face of the Carpathians. Thence the land slopes away northwards, through a low hilly region, to the deep plains of the Dniester and the Vistula. There are many large rivers - those in the west being feeders of the Vistula, those in the east of the Danube and Dniester. One-fourth of the surface is covered with forests. Salt is the most important mineral ; but coal, iron ore, sulphur, lead, zinc, and petroleum are also extracted. There are about thirty-five mineral springs, most of them containing sulphur. Lemberg (the capital) and Cracow are the chief towns. The western portion of the country belonged from 1382 till 1772 to Poland; in 1846 Cracow, with its territory, was given up to Austria, and annexed to Galicia.