Galloway, an extensive district of south-west Scotland, once somewhat larger, but now entirely comprised in the shire of Wigtown and stewartry of Kirkcudbright. It is 70 miles long by 40 at its utmost breadth, and contains the greatest diversity of scenery - mountain, lake, and stream, as well as dreary waste and almost pathless moor. The province owes its name to the fact that the natives were called Gall-Gael, or foreign Gaels, at first because of their falling under the foreign rule of the Anglians; but as the Picts of Galloway they continued to be known so late as the Battle of the Standard in 1138. See works by Sir Andrew Agnew (2d ed. 1893) and M'Kerlie (1870-91).
Galloway, Mull of, a bold headland, the southern extremity of the peninsula called the Ehinns of Galloway, in Wigtownshire, and the most southern point of Scotland, 23 miles S. of Stranraer. It is 1 1/4 mile long, and 1/4 mile broad, and rises to 210 feet at its eastern extremity, on which stands a lighthouse, 60 feet high, whose light is visible 23 nautical miles.