Geelong (g soft), a city of Victoria, on the south side of Corio Bay, 45 miles SW. of Melbourne by rail. The river Barwon forms the southern boundary of the city, and 3 miles farther spreads into the Connewarre Lakes, falling into the sea at Point Flinders. The gold discoveries in 1851 added to the prosperity of Geelong, which had been incorporated as a town in 1849, and became a principal seat of the wool trade - the first woollen mill in Victoria being erected here. Alongside of the railway jetty the largest ships can load and discharge, and through the bar at the entrance to Corio Bay a channel has been dredged for steamer traffic. The industries include the manufacture of woollen cloths and paper, meat-preserving, tanning, rope-making, fishing, etc. The Exhibition Hall and general produce exchange, theatre, and assembly-rooms combined, stands in the market-square. The city has two parks, botanical gardens, government buildings, a town-hall, a post-office (1889), an excellent hospital, a chamber of commerce, etc. Corio Bay is a favourite bathing-resort. Pop. (1871) 22,618; (1901) 25,000.
Geelvink Bay penetrates 125 miles southward into the western arm of New Guinea. Islands protect its entrance, 155 miles wide.