Georgetown, a port of entry in the District of Columbia, on the Potomac, 2 miles above Washington, at the head of navigation. Here the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal crosses the Potomac by a great viaduct 1446 feet long. Containing many educational institutions, one of them a Roman Catholic college (1789), it is now included within the limits of Washington, and is regularly styled West Washington.
Georgetown (formerly the Dutch Stabroek), capital of British Guiana, on the right bank of the Demerara River, near its mouth. It consists of wide, clean streets, intersecting at right angles; the brightly painted wooden houses, with their verandas, are generally raised on piles a few feet above the unhealthy soil, and embosomed in trees, of which the cabbage-palm and cocoa-nut are the chief. Some of the streets are traversed by canals, with bridges at the cross streets. The principal public edifices are the government building, the cathedral, the Queen's College, and a museum and library. There are botanical gardens, two markets, a short railway to Mahaica, a good harbour, a lighthouse, and fortifications ; the foreign trade is virtually that of the colony. Population, 54,000, of whom only about 5500 are whites.
Georgetown. See Penang.