Gilbert Islands, a British archipelago in the Pacific, lying on the equator between 172° and 177° E. long. Area, 166 sq. m.; pop. 36,800. The group consists of sixteen atolls, several of them triangular in shape, with two outlying hilly islands. Cocoa-nuts and copra are the chief products. Marshall and Gilbert discovered it in 1788.
Gilead, a mountainous district on the east side of the Jordan, described by Laurence Oliphant as a country of wine and oil, with rich alluvial deposits. See his Land of Gilead (1SS0).
Gillingham (g hard), a Dorset market-town, on the Stour, 22 miles by rail W. of Salisbury. Near it are the 'Pen Pits,' thought to be either quarry-holes or prehistoric dwellings. Pop. of parish, 3303.
Gillis Land, a Polar land NE. of Spitzbergen, first sighted in 1707 by Gillis, a Dutchman, in 81° 30' N. lat. and 36° E. long.
Gilmerton, a Midlothian village, 4 miles SSE. of Edinburgh. Pop. 1300.
Gilp, Loch, an arm of Loch Fyne, 3 miles long.
Giovinazzo, an Italian cathedral town on the Adriatic, 14 miles WNW. of Bari. Pop. 11,250.
Gippsland, the southern one of the four important districts of Victoria, Australia. It was originally called Caledonia Australis by Mac-millan, its first explorer (1839), and then Gippsland after the governor, Sir George Gipps.
Girgeh, a town of Egypt, on the Nile's left bank, in 26° 20' N. lat. and 31° 58' E. long., 10 1/2 miles N. of the ancient Abydos. Outside it is a Roman Catholic monastery, said to be the oldest in Egypt. Pop. 17,819.