Gladbach

Gladbach, or Bergisch-Gladbach, an industrial town of Rhenish Prussia, 8 miles NE. of Cologne. Pop. 11,500.

Gladbach

Gladbach, or Monchen-Gladbach, a rapidly growing manufacturing town of Rhenish Prussia, 16 miles W. of Dusseldorf. The centre of the Rhenish cotton-spinning industry, it also has manufactures of silk, wool, linen, and paper, cotton-printing works, dyeworks, bleachtields, iron-foundries, machine-shops, breweries, and brickworks. Gladbach, which has been a town since 1366, was formerly the seat of an important linen trade ; the cotton industry was introduced in the end of the 18th century. The town formerly contained a famous Benedictine abbey, founded in 792. Pop. (1858) 13,965; (1871) 26,354 ; (1900) 58,014, mostly Roman Catholics.

Gladsmuir

Gladsmuir, a Haddingtonshire parish, 3 1/2 miles E. of Tranent. With the Jacobites it gave name to the battle of Prestonpans.

Glamis Castle

Glamis Castle (Glamz), the seat of the Earl of Strathmore, in Forfarshire, 5 miles WSW. of Forfar. It is a splendid chateau-like pile of (mainly) the 17th century.

Glarus

Glarus, a canton of Switzerland, bounded by the cantons of St Gall, the Grisons, Uri, and Schwyz. Area, 266 1/2 sq. m.; population, 32,500, mainly Protestant and German-speaking. It is an Alpine region, in the Todi peak attaining 11,887 feet. The climate is very severe, and only one-fifth of the land is arable. The capital is the town of Glarus (pop. 5330), 43 miles SE. of Zurich by rail. It was founded by an Irish monk, Fridolin, in the end of the 5th century. Zwingli was pastor here, 1506-16.

Glasbury

Glasbury, a Radnorshire village, on the Wye, 4 miles SW. of Hay. Pop. of parish, 488.

Glasnevin

Glasnevin, incorporated in 1900 with Dublin as one of the city wards.

Glasvein

Glasvein, a mountain (3006 feet) of Ross-shire, 5 miles ENE. of Invershiel.

Glatz

Glatz (Czech Kladsko), a town of Prussian Silesia, between two fortified hills, on the Neisse, 58 miles by rail SSW. of Breslau. It manufactures linen, cigars, leather, etc. Pop. 15,585.

Glauchau

Glauchau (Glow-how), the second manufacturing town of Saxony, on the Mulde's right bank, 20 miles W. of Chemnitz by rail. It is the centre of the woollen-weaving industry, goods to the value of 2,000,000 being exported annually. There are also dyeworks, print-works, iron-foundries, and carpet, paper, and machine factories. Pop. (1834) 6292; (1900)25,677.

Gledstanes

Gledstanes, Easter, in Libberton parish, Lanarkshire, 5 miles NW. of Biggar, was the ancient seat of the Gledstane or Gladstone family.

Gleiwitz

Gleiwitz, a town of Prussian Silesia, 40 miles SE. of Oppeln. It has extensive iron, glass, paper, and wood manufactures. Pop. (1900)52,362.

Glenalmond

Glenalmond, a romantic valley of Perthshire, much visited for its scenery, and for Ossian's grave - the subject of Wordsworth's verses on the 'Narrow Glen.'It is the seat, 12 miles WNW. of Perth, of Trinity College, Glenalmond (1847), a public school of about 100 boys.