Glencoe, a valley of northern Argyllshire, descending 7 1/2 miles west-by-northward from a 'col,' 1011 feet high, to salt-water Loch Leven, 2 miles ENE. of Ballachulish. It is traversed by the Coe (or Cona of Ossian), and flanked by conical mountains, the Pap of Glencoe (2430 feet) the most prominent, Benveedan (3766) the loftiest. On 13th February 1692 it was the scene of the massacre, by 120 soldiers (Campbells mostly), of thirty-eight Macdonalds, others also perishing of cold and hunger.
Glencorse. See Penicuik.
Glenoroe, an Argyllshire glen descending 4 1/4 miles south-eastward to Loch Long, 2 1/2 miles SW. of Arrochar. At its head is a stone seat inscribed ' Rest and be thankful.'
Glendalough, a valley in Wicklow county, 15 miles SW. of Bray, which combines the attractions of fine scenery and remarkable ruins. It became a seat of religion with St Kevin in the 6th century ; and some of the ruined ' seven churches,' as well as the round tower (110 feet high), may date from the 7th century.
Glenelg, a shallow river of Australia, rising in the Grampians in SW. Victoria, and flowing 281 miles to the Southern Ocean between Capes Northumberland and Bridgewater, at the boundary of South Australia and Victoria.
Glenfinnan, a glen in Inverness-shire, 18 miles W. of Fort-William. Here, on 19th August 1745, the clans gathered under Prince Charles Edward's banner, and here in 1815 a tower was built with an inscription in Gaelic, Latin, and English.
Glengarry, (1) a glen of W. Inverness-shire, through which the Garry winds, 19 miles eastward, from Loch Quoich to Loch Oich, 8 miles SW. of Fort Augustus. - (2) A glen of NW. Perthshire, traversed by the Highland Railway. Its Garry falls into the Tummel.
Gleniffer, Braes of, a range of hills (749 feet), 3 miles SSW. of Paisley. They are celebrated by Tannahill.
Glenisla (Glen-i'la), a Forfarshire parish, 9 miles N. by W. of Alyth.
Glenlivet(Glen-le'vet), the valley in Banffshire of Livet Water, which runs 14 miles north-westward till, at a point 5 miles S. of Ballindalloch station, it falls after a total descent of 1600 feet into the Aven, itself an affluent of the Spey. Its population still is largely Catholic. Since 1824 its 200 whisky bothies have given place to one celebrated distillery. In the battle of Glenlivet or Alltacoileachan (4th October 1594), 10,000 Protestants under the Earl of Argyll were routed by the Catholic insurgents under the Earl of Huntly.
Glenluce', a Wigtownshire village, 15 miles WSW. of Newton-Stewart. Near it are the ruins of Glenluce Abbey (1190). Pop. 800.