Gollnitz

Gollnitz, or Gollniczbanya, a town of Hungary, 17 miles SW. of Eperies. It has iron and copper mines, and ironworks. Pop. 4353.

Gollnow

Gollnow, a town of Prussia, in Pomerania, 15 miles NE. of Stettin. Pop. 8430.

Golspie

Golspie, a Sutherland coast-village, 84 miles by rail N. by E. of Inverness. Pop. 1025.

Gombroon

Gombroon', or Bender Abbas, a seaport of Persia, on the Strait and the island of Ormuz. It owes its name Bender Abbas to Shah Abbas, who, assisted by the English, drove the Portuguese in 1622 from Ormuz, ruined that seaport, and transferred its commerce to Gombroon. For a while the new town prospered; but at present it is a wretched place. Pop. 8000.

Gomera

Gome'ra, one of the Canary Islands (q.v.).

Gometra

Gom'etra, an Argyllshire island, measuring 2 miles by 1, W. of Ulva. Pop. 53.

Gomorrah

Gomorrah. See Sodom and Gomorrah.

Gomul

Gomul. See Zhob.

Gonaives

Gonaives, a seaport of Hayti, on the W. coast, 65 miles NNW. of Port au Prince. Pop. 18,000.

Gondar

Gondar, capital of Amhara in Abyssinia, is situated on a basaltic hill 23 miles N. of Lake Tzana. It was formerly the capital of Abyssinia, with 50,000 inhabitants ; now barely 4000, though there are still some forty churches.

Gondokoro

Gondo'koro, a trading-post (for ivory, etc.) in the country of the Bari negroes, on the Upper Nile, in about 4° 54' N. lat. To put down the slave-trade Baker established a strong military station here in 1871; later Gordon removed the station to Lado, 6 miles lower down the Nile.

Good Hope

Good Hope. See Cape of Good Hope.

Goodrich Castle

Goodrich Castle, a stately ruin in Herefordshire, on the Wye, 4 miles SSW. of Ross. Goodrich Court is the seat of the Meyricks.

Goodwood

Goodwood, the seat of the Duke of Richmond, 3 1/2 miles NE. of Chichester. An 18th-century building by Chambers and Wyatt, it has a notable collection of portraits; and its park is famous for its cedars and other trees, which in 1754 included thirty different kinds of oaks and 400 different American trees and shrubs. Here is the picturesque racecourse, where the famous Goodwood meeting is held at the end of July, at the close of the London season. It was established in 1802 ; but its importance (since 1825) was due to Lord George Bentinck.

Goole

Goole, a town and river-port in the West Riding of Yorkshire, at the junction of the Ouse with the Don, 22 miles SSE. of York. It has grown rapidly since 1829, and now ranks amongst the chief ports of the kingdom, its extensive docks being annually entered and cleared by some 4600 vessels of over 1,100,000 tons burden. The annual value of the imports amounts to about 4 1/4 millions sterling, of the exports to more than 4 3/4lions. Amongst the imports are shoddy for manufacturing purposes, oil, logwood, timber, champagne, farm-produce, and groceries. Coal, cloth, and machinery are amongst the chief exports. There are iron-foundries, alum, sugar, and cordage manufactories, ship and boat building yards, and establishments for sail-making and agricultural machine-making. Pop. (1851) 4722 ; (1891) 15,168 ; (1901) 16,576.