Goshen

Goshen, that part of ancient Egypt which Pharaoh presented to Joseph's kindred, appears to have lain between the eastern delta of the Nile and the Isthmus of Suez, as far south as the modern Ismailia. - Goshen was the name given to a part of Bechuanaland, South Africa (now British), which in 1884 was the seat of a mushroom Boer republic.

Goshen

Goshen, the capital of Elkhart county, Indiana, on the Elkhart River, I11 miles E. by S. of Chicago. Pop. 7820.

Goslar

Goslar, an ancient town of Hanover, on the north slope of the Harz Mountains, 27 miles SE. of Hildesheim. At one time a free imperial city, and the residence of the emperors, it has the 'Zwinger' tower, with walls 23 feet thick; the emperor's house (1050), the town-house (1136-84), and the Kaiserworth, an old building containing statues of eight emperors. Goslar was founded by Henry I. in 920. About 1350 it joined the Hanseatic League. It suffered severely in the Thirty Years' War. Here were born the Emperor Henry IV. and Maurice of Saxony. Pop. 16,690.

Gospie

Gospie, a town of Croatia, Austria-Hungary, 14 miles from the Adriatic. Pop. 11,000.

Gosport

Gosport ('God's port'), a seaport of Hants, on the west shore of Portsmouth harbour, directly opposite Portsmouth, with which it is connected by a floating bridge. Here are an iron-foundry for making anchors and chain - cables, naval powder-magazines, barracks, the Clarence victualling-yard, and Haslar Naval Hospital (1746). Pop. (1851) 7414 ; (1901, with Alverstoke) 28,884.

Gosselies

Gosselies, a manufacturing town of Hainaut, Belgium, 4 miles N. of Charleroi. Pop. 10,050.

Gotha

Gotha (Go'ta), a town of Germany, alternately with Coburg the capital of the duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, stands 31 miles W. by S. of Weimar, on the northern outskirt of the Thuringian Forest. The castle of Friedenstein, rebuilt in 1648 on a rock 78 feet above the town, contains a library of 200,000 volumes and 6000 MSS. The new museum (1878), in the Renaissance style, includes the picture-gallery, a natural history collection, etc. A new observatory was built in 1874. Gotha is an active industrial town, the principal manufactures being shoes, fire-engine pipes, sugar, toys, and sausages. Many designers, engravers, printers, and map-colourers are employed in the large geographical establishment of Perthes, which also publishes the Almanack de Gotha. Population, 35,000. See Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

Gotham

Gotham, a Nottinghamshire village, 7 miles SSW. of Nottingham, whose inhabitants from at least Henry VI. 's time were reputed to be fools.

Gothard

Gothard. See St Gothard.

Gothland

Gothland (Swed. Gotaland and Gotarike), the southernmost of the three old provinces of Sweden, with an area of 35,803 sq. m. and a pop. of 2,595,194. - (2) A Swedish island (Swed. Gottland) in the Baltic, 44 miles E. from the mainland, constitutes with Faro, Gotska Sando, and other smaller islands the province of Gottland or Wisby. Area, 1217 sq. m. The island consists mainly of terrace-like slopes of limestone, encircled on the west by cliff's broken by numerous deep fjords. Next to agriculture, the chief occupations of the inhabitants, 55,074 in 1892, are shipping, fishing, seal-fishing, fowling, and lime-burning. In the middle ages, and till 1645, the island belonged to the German Hanseatic League. The capital is Wisby.