Great Grimsby. See Grimsby.
Great Kanawha (pron. Kanaw'wa), an affluent of the Ohio, is called New River in its upper course, and rises in the Blue Ridge of North Carolina. It is 450 miles long, and is navigable to a fall 30 miles above Charleston.
Great Marlow. See Marlow.
Great Ormes Head. See Llandudno.
Green Bay, capital of Brown county, Wisconsin, at the head of Green Bay and the mouth of Fox River, 65 miles NNE. of Fond du Lac by rail. It has a handsome Roman Catholic cathedral, a good harbour, export of lumber, ironworks, and sawmills. Pop. 18,700.
Greenlet Island, a small island in Belle Isle Strait, in 51° 34' N. lat. and 56° 36' W. long.
Green Mountains, a portion of the Appalachians (q.v.).
Greenville, capital of Greenville county, South Carolina, on Reedy River, 95 miles (143 by rail) NW. of Columbia, with a Baptist university (1851), and manufactures of cotton, oil, flour, furniture, and machinery. Pop. 11,900.
Greifswald, a town in the Prussian province of Pomerania, 2 1/2 miles from the mouth of the Ryck, and 25 by rail SE. of Stralsund. The university (1456) has from 700 to 1000 students, chiefly in medicine and theology, and a library of 140,000 volumes. There is a considerable shipping trade. The industries include the making of machinery, chains, and railway wagons, the curing of herrings, and iron-founding. Pop. (1875) 18,016 ; (1900) 22,950. Shortly after being made a town (1250), Greifswald joined the Han-seatic League. At the peace of Westphalia (1648) it came to Sweden; but, with the whole of Swedish Pomerania, was ceded to Prussia in 1815.
Greinord. See Gruinaed.
Greiz (Greits), capital of the German principality of Reuss-Greiz, on the White Elster, 47 miles SSW. of Leipzig. It has three castles, a 13th-century church, and manufactures of cotton and woollen goods, shawls, linen, etc. Pop. (1875) 12,657 ; (1900) 22,350.
Grena'da, a volcanic island in the British West Indies, lying N. by W. from Trinidad, mountainous and picturesque, with an area of 133 sq. m. Some of the craters in the central ridge of mountains, rising to 3200 feet, have been transformed into large lakes. Streams and mineral springs abound. There are several good natural harbours, that of St George (pop. 4000), the capital of the island and the headquarters of the government of theWindward Islands, being one of the best in the West Indies. Pop. (1881) 42,403 ; (1001) 63,438, who are almost all negroes, and cultivate cocoa, coffee, and oranges. A little rum is manufactured. Columbus in 1498 was the discoverer of the island, which in 1783 was ceded by France to England.