Grimsby, or Great Grimsby, a parliamentary, municipal, and county borough and seaport of Lincolnshire, on the Humber's right bank, 20 miles ESE. of Hull and 41 NE. of Lincoln. The parish church, a good cruciform Early English edifice, was restored in 1859. A statue of the Prince-Consort was unveiled in 1879, and a public park of 27 acres opened in 1883. In Edward III.'s time Grimsby was a port of considerable importance, which, however, it gradually lost as its harbour became silted up. The town is famous as the largest fishing-port in the kingdom, its trawlers and smacks being mostly engaged in the cod, herring, and whelk fisheries. Its importance as a landing-place of fish dates from 1849-58, when docks began to be constructed under the auspices of the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Railway, which carries the fish to the towns of the northern Midlands. The docks cover altogether 350 acres. The industries include shipbuilding, tanning, brewing, cordage-making, and flax-dressing. About 3000 vessels, of 1,000,000 tons, enter every year. The imports reach an annual value of 4 1/2 millions sterling, and the exports of 7 3/4 millions. Grimsby since 1832 has returned only one member. Pop. (1851) 12,263; (1871)28,503; (1881)45,351; (1901)78,198, of whom 63,138 were within the municipal boundary. See works by Oliver (1825) and Davenport (1866).