Guben, a manufacturing town in the Prussian province of Brandenburg, at the head of the navigable portion of the Neisse, 28 miles S. of Frankfort-on-the-Oder. The principal staples are hats and cloth. There are also wool-spinning, tanning, machine factories, etc. Pop. (1875) 23,738 ; (1900) 33,122.
Guebwiller. See Gebweiler.
Guelderland (Geldern, Gelderland), a Dutch province between the Zuider Zee on the NW. and the Prussian dominions on the SE. It has an area of 1957 sq. m.; a population of 600,000, two-thirds Protestants. The former duchy was more extensive than the modern province, stretching southwards along the Meuse to beyond Venlo. In 1814 it was finally divided between Holland and Prussia.
Guelph, an inland port of entry in Ontario, capital of Wellington county, on the river Speed, 45 miles W. by S. of Toronto by rail. It is the seat of an agricultural college, and has several flour-mills, woollen-mills, and manufactories of sewing-machines, etc. Pop. 11,359.
Guernsey, the second in size of the Channel Islands (q.v.). It is about 30 miles in circumference, and 28 sq. m. in area. Pop. (1821) 20,339 ; (1851) 29,806 ; (1901) 40,777. The lowest part is to the north (L'Ancresse), the highest to the south (Haut Nez) being 349 feet above sea-level. St Peter Port, the only town, has a good harbour; a large public school (1563), named after Queen Elizabeth; a fine church, dating from the 13th century; two libraries; a good public market; etc. The climate is equable and favourable to the growth of fruit, flowers, and vegetables. Two-thirds of the island are under cultivation, and great quantities of fruit and vegetables are exported to England, as is also a hard gray building granite. Guernsey is 127 miles from Land's End, 109 from Falmouth, 113 from Southampton, 69 from Start Point.
Guerre'ro, a southern state of Mexico, on the Pacific, with an area of 22,863 sq. m. It is a broken mountainous country, rich in minerals. Population, 485,000. Capital,'Chilpancingo(6500); chief port, Acapulco (q.v.).
Guienne, an old French province, comprehending the present deps. of Gironde, Lot, Dordogne, Aveyron, with portions of Tarn-et-Garonne and Lot-et-Garonne. With Gascony it formed Aqui-tania, of which name Guienne is a corruption.
Guinegate, or Enguinegatte, a historical village in the French department of Pas-de-Calais, where the French were twice defeated - (1) on 17th August 1479 by Maximilian I. of Austria; (2) on 16th August 1513 by Henry VIII. and the Emperor Maximilian. This battle was called the Battle of the Spurs - the French knights having made more use oftheir spurs than of their swords.