Hadleigh, (1) a quaint old market-town of Suffolk, on the Bret, 9 1/2 miles (12 1/2 by a branch-line) W. of Ipswich. Its chief buildings are the brick Rectory Tower (1495) and the noble parish church, with a spire 135 feet high. Formerly, from 1331, an important seat of the cloth-trade, Hadleigh was the scene of the death of the Danish king Guthrum (889), of the martyrdom of Dr Rowland Taylor (1555), and of the ' great conference' (1833) out of which grew the ' Tracts for the Times.' Woolner, the sculptor was a native. Pop. of urban district, 3250. - (2) An Essex parish, near the N. shore of the Thames estuary, 2 miles NE. of Benfleet station, and 37 E. of London. It has a ruined castle (1231), and in 1892 became the seat of the Salvation Army farm-colony. Pop. 1350.
Hadrian's Wall, a fort-protected stone wall, with a ditch on its north side, and on its south side a vallum or series of ramparts, between the estuary of the Tyne and the Solway Firth. Hadrian is now generally believed to have been the builder of the whole structure (c. 119 a.d.), and Severus to have repaired it nearly a century later. In Northumberland the remains of it are considerable, the wall being still in two places 9 feet high. See works by Collingwood Bruce (1851-85) and G. Neilson (1891).
HAemus, Mount. See Balkan.
Hagen (Hagen), a town of Prussia, in the Ruhr coal-district of Westphalia, 12 miles NE. of Elberfeld-Barmen. It manufactures iron, steel, and tin goods, cotton, cloth, leather, paper, beer, and tobacco. Pop. 70,000.
Hagorstown, capital of Washington county, Maryland, on Antietam Creek, 85 miles WNW. of Baltimore by rail. It has machine-shops, flour-mills, and manufactories of furniture and other wooden wares, fertilisers, farming implements, and cigars. Pop. (1880) 6627 ; (1900) 13,590.
Haidarabad. See Hyderabad.
Haifa, a seaport of Syria, at the foot of Mount Carmel; pop. 6000. A railway to Damascus was undertaken in 1892. A little NW. is a settlement (1869) of the Wurtemberg 'society of the Temple,' now a flourishing agricultural colony of 300 persons. Here Laurence Oliphant settled in 1882. See his Haifa (1887).
Haikh, the native name of Armenia (q.v.).