Halberstadt, a quaint old town of Prussian Saxony, in a fertile plain extending from the north foot of the Harz Mountains, 25 miles SW. of Magdeburg. The cathedral, rich in stained glass, was erected in the 13th and 14th centuries. Other buildings are the church of Our Lady (1146); the town-house (1360-81), before it a Roland pillar; and the Peterhof, formerly the bishop's palace. The chief industries are gloves, cigars, machines, sugar, leather, paper, spirits, etc, besides large railway workshops. Halberstadt dates from 820, and was given to Brandenburg in 1648. Pop. 44,200.
Haleb. See Aleppo.
Halesowen, a market-town of Worcestershire, on the river Stour, 7 1/2 miles WSW. of Birmingham. Its people are nail-makers and manufacturers of small ironwares. One mile to the south-east lie the ruins of the Premonstratensian abbey founded by King John. Shenstone (1714-63), a native of the place, carried on his landscape-gardening at the Leasowes, a mile distant. His tomb is in the church. Pop. 4060.
Halicarnassus. See Budrun.
Halicz, a town in Austrian Galicia, on the Dniester, 69 miles SSE. of Lemberg by rail. On a neighbouring hill is the ruined 12th-century castle of the rulers of the former principality of Halicz. From this word the name Galicia is derived. Pop. 3464.
Hall, or Schwabisch-Hall, a town (since 1802) of Wurtemberg, in the deep valley of the Kocher, 33 miles by rail B. by S. of Heilbronn. Hall (meaning 'salt') has salt-works, the brine being obtained from Wilhelmsgluck, 5 miles distant. There are also manufactures of cotton, silk, leather, etc. Pop. 9225.
Halladale, a Sutherland stream, flowing 20 miles north to the sea at Portskerry.
Halstead, an Essex market-town, on the Colne, 56 miles NE. of London. It has a parish church with a wooden spire and many old monuments, a free grammar-school (1590), and manufactures of crape, silk, paper, and straw-plait. Pop. 6059.