Hamilton, a town of Lanarkshire, on the left bank of the Clyde, 10 miles SE. of Glasgow. The principal edifice is the burgh buildings (1863), with a clock-tower nearly 130 feet high; and there are also the county buildings, large barracks, a public park (1894), and a good racecourse. The former manufactures of lace, tamboured bobbinette, and cambric have declined; and coal-mining is now the chief industry of the district. Lord Dundonald was a native. Hamilton was made a royal burgh in 1548, and one of the five Falkirk parliamentary burghs in 1832. Pop. (1841)8724; (1881) 18,517; (1901) 32,775.-Hamilton Palace, successor to Cadzow Castle, is the seat of the Duke of Hamilton. Dating partly from 1594, but greatly enlarged in 1705 and 1822, it is a sumptuous classical structure, though its choicest art-collections were sold in 1882 for nearly £400,000. Within its policies are a superb mausoleum (1852), the ruins of Cadzow Castle, the herd of wild white cattle, and some primeval oaks.
Hamilton, a city of Ontario, Canada, is situated on Burlington Bay, at the west end of Lake Ontario, 40 miles by rail SW. of Toronto, and 56 WNW. of Niagara Falls. The business portion lies at the foot of 'The Mountain,' on whose slope many fine residences are embowered among trees and gardens. Trees line the wide, handsome streets ; the houses are mostly substantial stone erections, and the court-house and county buildings are among the finest in Canada. The manufactures include iron, cottons, woollens, sewing-machines, boots, glass-ware, etc. Hamilton, which was founded in 1813, is the seat of Anglican and Roman Catholic bishops. Pop. (1861) 19,096 ; (1881) 35,961; (1901) 52,550.
Hamilton, (1) capital of Butler county, Ohio, on the Great Miami River, and on the Miami and Erie Canal, 25 miles by rail N. of Cincinnati. It has paper and flour mills, foundries, breweries, etc. Pop. (1880) 12,122 ; (1900) 23,914. - (2) A post-village of New York, 37 miles SE. of Syracuse, is the seat of Madison University, and of a Theological Seminary, both Baptist. Pop. 1628.
Hamilton, capital (pop. 2300) of Bermuda.