Harrow, or Harrow-on-the-Hill, a town of Middlesex, ll 1/2 miles WNW. of St Paul's, stands on a hill, 200 feet high, that looks over thirteen shires. Its 'visible church," which crowns the hill-top, was founded in 1094, and rebuilt about the middle of the 14th century. Exhibiting every style of Gothic architecture, from Norman to Perpendicular, it has a lofty spire and eleven brasses (one of them to John Lyon): whilst in the churchyard is a flat tombstone on which Byron as a schoolboy used to lie. Pop. of the parish (1851) 4951 ; (1900) 10,220.
Harrow School, founded by John Lyon in 1571, ranks as one of the great English public schools, with some 600 boys. Former distinguished alumni having been Lord Byron, the Marquises of Dalhousie and Hastings, Dean Merivale, Lord Palmerston, Sir Robert Peel, Admiral Rodney, Lord Shaftesbury, Sheridan, Trollope, and Colonel Burnaby. The buildings date from 1608, and include the chapel (1857), Vaughan Library (1863), and Speech-room (1877). See works by Pitcairn (1870), Riminer (1881), Thornton (1885), Minchin (1898), Howson, Warren, and twenty-four others (1898), and Fischer Williams (1901).
Hartz. See Habz.
Harwich (Har'ritch), a municipal borough, seaport, and market-town of Essex, is situated on a promontory at the influx of the confluent Stour and Orwell to the sea, 71 miles by rail NE. of London. Southward of Harwich is the watering-place of Dovercourt, with a sea-wall 2 miles long. The chief industries are shipbuilding, fishing, and the manufacture of cement. Steamers run daily to Ipswich, and there are regular lines of packets to Antwerp, Rotterdam, London, etc. The harbour is capacious, safe, and commodious, having been much improved since 1844. It is defended by a battery, and, on the Suffolk side, by Landguard Fort, which dates from the reign of James I. From the 14th century till 1867 Harwich returned two members, and from then till 1885 one. Pop. (1851) 4451 ; (1881) 7842 ; (1901) 10,070.
Harz Mountains, a mountain-range of Germany, extending between the rivers Weser and Elbe, south of Brunswick, with a length of 57 miles, a breadth of 20, and a superficial area of 784 sq. in. It forms an elevated plateau, rising on most sides somewhat steeply from the plains, and ridged with irregular and in some parts forest-clad mountains. The range, which is divided into Upper and Lower Harz, the average elevations of which are 2100 and 1000 feet respectively, attains 3740 feet in the Brocken (q.v.), the highest peak of central Germany. The Harz are exceedingly rich in metals and minerals, as silver, iron, lead, copper, zinc, marble, alabaster, and granite. They are the scenes of many of the weird legendary tales of German literature.