Haverfordwest (Welsh Hwlffordd), a parliamentary and municipal borough, seaport, and market-town of Wales, capital of Pembrokeshire, on the river Cleddau, 10 miles NNE. of Milford by rail, and 162 W. of Gloucester. A body of Flemings was settled here by Henry I. in 1107. The 14th-century castle (its keep now the county jail) was erected by the first Earl of Pembroke. There are also remains of a 12th-century Augus-tinian priory. Paper-making is the chief industry. Since 1885 Haverfordwest has been one of the Pembroke boroughs, which return one member. Pop. (1861) 7019 ; (1901) 6007.
Haverhill, an ancient market-town of SW. Suffolk, 18 miles SE. of Cambridge. Pop. of urban district, 4862.
Haverhill, a city of Massachusetts, at the head of navigation on the Merrimac River, 33 miles N. of Boston by rail. The manufacture of boots and shoes employs over 6000 men in 200 factories ; and there are manufactures also of iron, hats, glass, etc. Pop. (1870) 13,092 ; (1900) 37,175.
Hawarden (pron. Harden), a small market-town of Flintshire, North Wales, 7 miles W. of Chester. The church, almost destroyed by fire in 1857, was restored by Sir G. G. Scott. Hawarden Castle, Mr Gladstone's home, dates from 1752. The park contains the ruined circular keep of a 13th-century castle. St Deiniol's Library here was established by Mr Gladstone. Lady Hamilton passed her girlhood at Hawarden. Pop. of parish, 7057.
Hawash, a river of Abyssinia.
Hawes Water, a Westmorland lake, measuring 2 1/2 miles by 1/2 mile, and 694 feet above sea-level, between Mardale and Bampton.
Hawke's Bay, a provincial district of New Zealand, on the east coast, between Auckland and Wellington. Area, 4765 sq. m.; pop. (1871) 6059; (1901) 35,424. It presents rich alluvial plains and undulating hills, with enormous forests. The bay known as Hawke's Bay was first entered by Captain Cook on 8th October 1769, and was so named after Sir Edward Hawke, then First Lord of the Admiralty. Napier (q.v.) is the port and chief city.
Hawkesbury, a river of New South Wales, rises in the Cullarin Range, and under the names of Wollondilly and Nepean flows NE., then turns as the Hawkesbury SE., and enters the Pacific at Broken Bay, about 20 miles NE. of Sydney. It has a total length of 330 miles, and is navigable for vessels of 100 tons as high as Windsor. It is crossed by a seven-span steel girder bridge (1886-89), 2900 feet long, on the railway which connects Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane.
Haworth, a moorland town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 4 miles SSW. of Keighley by a branch-line. The old church has been ruthlessly demolished, but in the churchyard are the graves of Charlotte and Emily Bronte. Pop. 7500.