Haywood, a municipal town of Lancashire, 8 miles B. of Bury and 9 N. of Manchester. It is connected with the Rochdale Canal by a branch canal. Incorporated in 1881, Heywood has increased with great rapidity, both in population and wealth, since the beginning of the 19th century, partly in consequence of extensive coalmines in the neighbourhood and partly in consequence of the enterprise of the Peel family, who introduced the cotton manufacture. Iron and brass founding, boiler-making, and the manufacture of cotton, woollens, machinery, railway plant, and chemicals are also carried on. The Free Libraries Act was adopted in 1873; and the Queen's Park, 20 acres in extent, was opened in 1879. Pop. (1851) 12,194 ; (1901) 25,458.
Hierapolis, (1) a ruined city on the high-road from Antioch to Mesopotamia, 14 miles W. of the Euphrates. It had a great temple of Astarte. - (2) An ancient city of Phrygia, with hot springs, between the rivers Lycus and Meander, 5 miles N. of Laodicea. Epictetus was a native; and here St Paul founded a Christian church.
Highgate, a northern suburb of London, 4 1/4 miles NN W. of King's Cross Station by rail. Here Bacon and Coleridge died; Whittington's Stone at the foot of Highgate Hill marks the spot where Dick heard Bow Bells, and turned again; Coleridge's remains, buried in the old churchyard, are now covered by the chapel of the Highgate grammar-school; and in the great cemetery (consecrated 1839) have been buried Faraday, Lord Lyndhurst, 'George Eliot,' etc.
Highlands, that portion, roughly, of Scotland to the N. and NW. of a line stretching diagonally across the country from Nairn on the Moray Firth to Dumbarton on the Clyde. The mountainous parts, however, of the counties of Banff, Moray, Aberdeen, Kincardine, and Perth are understood to be included in the designation Highlands, whilst Caithness is excluded, as are Orkney and Shetland. Separated but vaguely from the Lowlands, the Scottish Highlands may best be denned as that portion of Scotland in which the Gaelic language and manners have more or less lingered until modern times.
High Wycombe. See Wycombe.
Hildburghausen. See Saxe-Meiningen.
Hildesheim, a town in the Prussian province of Hanover, stands on a feeder of the Weser, 24 miles by rail SSE. of Hanover. It is an antique town, with narrow streets, high-gabled houses, and many towers, its cathedral dating from the 11th century, and the bishopric from 822. The cathedral is rich in antiquarian and artistic treasures, as the bronze gates (1015) with bas-reliefs, the so-called Irmin pillar, a rose-tree said to be a thousand years old, the brazen Christ pillar (1022), the carillon, etc. The St Godehard Church (1133-72) and St Michael's are splendid examples of Romanesque architecture. The ' Templar House,' the town-house (c. 1440), and certain antique private houses are the most interesting among the secular buildings. The industries embrace sugar-refining, iron-foundries, brick-making, machine-shops, and the manufacture of tobacco, stoves, church-bells, etc. Pop. (1875) 22,581; (1900) 42,978.