Hobart (till 1881 known as Hobart Town), the capital of Tasmania, stands on the estuary of the Derwent, 12 miles from its mouth, in the south of the island. It forms nearly a square, built on several hills, covering an area of about 1300 acres. Besides Government House, the houses of parliament, and the government buildings, Hobart has a museum, library, and two cathedrals, and is well supplied as to churches, schools, water, lighting, and tramways. The park known as the Queen's Domain has fine drives, and covers 1000 acres. In Franklin Gardens, in the centre of the town, are statues to Sir J. Franklin, a former governor of Tasmania, and Dr Crowther. The fine natural harbour and quay accommodate ships of the largest size ; and there are three first-class patent slips. The cooler and more invigorating air of Hobart attracts summer visitors from Australia. The chief industries are the manufacture of flour and jam, tanning, and iron-founding. Hobart has railway communication with Launceston, 133 miles distant, and frequent steam communication with Melbourne (443 miles NW.), Sydney, and New Zealand. Founded in 1804, it was incorporated in 1857. Pop. (1871) 19,092; (1901)34,626.