Houghton-le-Spring, a town in the county, and 6 1/2 miles NE. of the city, of Durham. its rapid growth is mainly due to the extension of neighbouring collieries. The fine cruciform parish church contains the altar-tomb of Bernard Gilpin, who founded here a grammar-school (1574); later rectors were Peter Heylin and Archbishop San-croft. Pop. 8000.
Hounslow, a town of Middlesex, 10 miles W. by S. of London, was formerly a place of much importance in the old coaching clays, it being the first stage out of London on the Bath and Southampton roads. As many as 800 horses were then maintained here, 500 coaches passed through daily, whilst a most extensive business in posting was carried on. With the opening of the railways, however, the place gradually declined, and now it contains but little of interest. West from Hounslow, stretching for 5 miles along the road, and in 1546 containing an area of 4293 acres, was Hounslow Heath, the scene of many military encampments, and notorious in the annals of highway robbery. It now is mostly enclosed. Near the town are large gunpowder-mills and cavalry and militia barracks, and at Kneller's Hall, once the painter Sir G. Kneller's residence, are the quarters of the Royal Military School of Music (1857). Pop. (1851) 3514; (1901) 11,3S0.
Houssa. See Haussa.
Houston, capital of Harris county, Texas, on the navigable Buffalo Bayou, 49 miles by rail NW. of Galveston. It is the great railway centre of the state, stands in the midst of a fertile country, and ships cotton, grain, and cattle, besides the products of the great pine-forests, which are prepared here. Other manufactures are machinery, iron-castings, railway carriages, farming implements, fertilisers, cotton-seed oil, etc. Pop. (1870) 9382 ; (1890) 27,557 ; (1900) 44,633.
Howrah, or Haura, a town of India, with growing manufactures, on the Hooghly's right bank, opposite Calcutta. It is connected with it by a floating bridge (1874), and is the Bengal terminus of the East Indian Railway. Pop. (1872) 97,784 ; (1891) 116,606; (1901) 157,600.
Howth, a peninsula on the east coast of Ireland, forming the north side of the Bay of Dublin, terminates in a lofty cliff, the ' Hill of Howth' (563 feet), at whose foot nestles the fishing-village of Howth (pop. 1160).
Hoy (Scand. Hoey, 'high island'), one of the Orkneys, 1 1/4 mile SW. of Mainland or Pomona. It is 13 1/4 miles long, 3 furlongs to 6 1/4 miles broad, and 53 sq. m. in area. Unlike the rest of the group, Hoy rises abruptly from the sea, with stupendous cliffs that attain 1140 feet in Brac-brough or St John's Head, and 595 in Bervy Hill; inland are Cuilags Hill (1420 feet) and the Ward Hill (1564), commanding a splendid view. Near the south end is the fine natural harbour of Long Hope (5 1/2 x 1 2/3 miles). The ' Dwarfie Stone' is 28 feet long, 14 1/2 broad, 6i high, with a chamber hollowed out of it; and the ' Old Man of Hoy ' is an insulated pillar of rock, 450 feet high. Pop. 1200.